cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrianS
Super User
Super User

Sort a list prior to Filter

I have a flow that looks through a list of people and pulls out those who have a birthday in the current month. It then formats that list as a table and emails it out. I would like to get the list to show up in date order, The Get Sharepoint list entry has an order by field, I just can't figure out the correct ODATA syntax. I want to sort just on the day of the month.

BrianS_1-1630507418898.png

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
ekarim2020
Community Champion
Community Champion

ekarim2020_0-1630525195696.png

This query is ordered by SharePoint field named Created in descending order.

You must use the name of the column that SharePoint uses internally - not its display name.

ekarim2020_1-1630258907991.png

To get the internal column name you need to go to the List (or Library) Settings page, then select your column. 

Now look at the address bar of the browser window. Go to the end of the URL and look for the Field=

ekarim2020_2-1630526032340.png

In the above example the internal name of the field is projectnumber . In this case both the internal name and display name happen to be the same.

Ellis

BrianS
Super User
Super User

OK - that gets me the field name - but how do I extract just the day from a date field for that? Do I need to create that in a variable in an earlier step? Won' t that require a loop to happen after the list is obtained?

I guess I could create a calculated field in the list to extract the day. Not sure about the syntax for that either, but I'll give it a try.

BrianS
Super User
Super User

I created a calculated field in SharePoint to contain just the day of the birthday. Running the Flow I get the following error:

The field 'BDay_Date' of type 'Calculated' cannot be used in the query sort expression.
clientRequestId: 7d0a427c-b402-4798-9c4f-1df722358ae0
serviceRequestId: 7d0a427c-b402-4798-9c4f-1df722358ae0

Can calculated fields not be used for this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

User Group Leader Meeting January 768x460.png

Calling all User Group Leaders!

Don't miss the User Group Leader meetings on January, 24th & 25th, 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,211)