cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jster24
Level: Powered On

Split string using (question mark) ? as the separator, then use everything to the left of ?

Hello! 

I'm trying to split a string starting from the "?" and take everything from the left of the "?". So far, I'm failing at this...!

This would be an example of the string:

/sites/06-000600/06-000621_QOT.xlsx?d=w0b85deee74804b82b1375724a792fc9d

And I want to use this part of it in my next step:

/sites/06-000600/06-000621_QOT.xlsx

Right now I am using the "compose" action, I've tried: split('Current_Link_to_File_Name','?'), then also tried to input it as: split("Current_Link_to_File_Name","?") but it reverts back to the single quotations. On trying to run this as a test, I get the error that it cannot contain any control characters. 

Is there a way to use ? as the split separator? And if I can use that, how would I then use everything to the left of the "?" ?

Thanks for the help!

Jennie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Split string using (question mark) ? as the separator, then use everything to the left of ?

Hey @jster24 

I just tried this using the first and split functions and am able to achieve the desired output: 

trms.PNG

Expression: 

first(split(outputs('Compose'),'?'))

temss.PNG

You need to appropriately reference the input string attribute for this to work. In mine have the Outputs('Compose') to refer to the output from the previous compose action. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Split string using (question mark) ? as the separator, then use everything to the left of ?

Hey @jster24 

I just tried this using the first and split functions and am able to achieve the desired output: 

trms.PNG

Expression: 

first(split(outputs('Compose'),'?'))

temss.PNG

You need to appropriately reference the input string attribute for this to work. In mine have the Outputs('Compose') to refer to the output from the previous compose action. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

jster24
Level: Powered On

Thank you, @yashag2255!

This was the solution, as well as making sure Flow wasn't adding syntax errors with extra parenthesis as I was adjusting the expression. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,784)