cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JAlderson
Level: Powered On

Start Approval Flow Assign To field Error Empty/Null

I am having an issue with Approval flows where it is failing and showing and error (BadRequest. The request failed. Error code: 'InvalidApprovalCreateRequestAssignedToMissing'. Error Message: 'Required field 'assignedTo' is missing or empty.'.). 

Background -

This flow is triggered by a Sharepoint Item and the Assign To email is dynamic content that is populated in the SharePoint item with the people picker. It appears to happen for only one user in my org, if I change the user in the SharePoint item to someone else it works correctly. I have tried multiple people and there is no issue. 

Am I missing something that is or could be wrong with the user account of the user that the Approval Flow continues to fail for?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. 

Jarad

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Re: Start Approval Flow Assign To field Error Empty/Null

@JAlderson 

Hi there.  I'm not totally familiar with the people picker in SP, so I'll tag @AKRogers - But have you confirmed that the person that is causing the error has an email address in the tenant?

Keep us posted.

-Ed-

If you liked this reply, please give it a thumbs up! If this reply has answered your question or resolved your challenge, please consider marking it as a Solution. This helps other users find it more easily via search.

JAlderson

Thanks for the response and for passing along the question. 

The user I am having an issue with is an active licensed user in our tenant and not an external user or contact (if that is what you mean). Is there is somewhere else that the Assign To is looking in Azure AD other than the user profile?

Jarad

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

I'm not totally certain, but you could build a quick flow with a manual trigger that pulls the user record from CDS, and then compare that to a known good user to see what is missing.  There might be an easier fix, but that's where I'd go.

-Ed-

AKRogers
Level 8

Hi @JAlderson

@edgonzales  has it pretty close to what I would do to start troubleshooting.  What I would love to see a screenshot of is a simple Get Item action in SharePoint that pulls back the item in question, where 'AssignedTo' is equal to that user account.  From there we should be able to see what additional information is available for that user, such as the email address, id, etc.

Keep us posted!

Ashley

If you found this helpful, consider giving it a thumbs up!

JAlderson

Unfortunately, it did not resolve the issue. 

I did create a flow with Get-Item for the user that the issue is occurring for in the approval flow. The email address returned the data that was being entered in the secondary approval flow. 

CDS was referenced in a previous response however I am not using CDS but am using a SharePoint List to store data. 

Approval Flow Error.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,098)