cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper I
Helper I

Start an approval flow when a SharePoint list item is modified

Hello I am trying to create a Flow based on a SharePoint List

I want to trigger an approval flow when an existing item in a SharePoint List is modified.

Heres how I want it to work:

1. The user will create a Change Request item in a SharePoint List.

2. One of the columns in the List is called "Change Control Status" and this can have a value of:

• DRAFT

or

• SUBMITTED

3. If the value is DRAFT - do nothing

4. If the value is changed to SUBMITTED then start an Approval Flow to notify managers that they need to review the change and approve or reject it.

The problem is I cant get it to run, It says it was succesful but nothing happens. 

The Approval is Assigned  to one email address, my own

Cananyone help?

This is how it looks:

Change Control V2 Capture.JPG

Change Control V2 Approval Capture.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User III
Super User III

@AdamInLondon 

I assume that the Flow runs but the condition always equates to false so the approval never gets started.

Is the Change Control Status column a choice column?  If so you should be referencing the Change Control Status Value (rather than Change Control Status) from Dynamic properties on the left side of your condition.

Also, you probably want a third status for the Change Control Status column.  If you don't then the approval will run again when the item is updated to reflect the fact that it was approved or rejected.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User III
Super User III

@AdamInLondon 

I assume that the Flow runs but the condition always equates to false so the approval never gets started.

Is the Change Control Status column a choice column?  If so you should be referencing the Change Control Status Value (rather than Change Control Status) from Dynamic properties on the left side of your condition.

Also, you probably want a third status for the Change Control Status column.  If you don't then the approval will run again when the item is updated to reflect the fact that it was approved or rejected.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

Hello Scott thank you, as you suggested I changed the Condition to "ChangeControlStatus Value" and the flow now sends the approval email! 

I am new to this so thanks again.

With reference to your comment about a third status Im not quite sure what you mean. The Column currently has three Choices:

DRAFT

COMMENTS

SUBMITTED

I will be adding another Flow to send notifications to a different group of users when the Staus is changed from DRAFT to COMMENTS

Adam.

Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AdamInLondon ,

I agree with Scott, please check the Flow run history to see if the result of Condition judgment is true or false.

If the "Change Control Status" type of Choice, you need to use Choice value as a parameter in the Condition. Like:

15.PNG

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks too to Barry, you are right.

Adam.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Power Platform: 2021 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April through September 2021.

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (24,305)