cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vman

Start approval fails with multiple approvers

Hi,

I am testing a Flow with a Start Approval action.

If the Assigned to field is set to a single email address (v######@#####.com;) the approval task is created and the user gets an email.

If the Assigned to field is set to multiple email addresses (v######@#####.com;s#########@#####.com;) then it fails with the error The request failed. Error code: '500'. Error Message: 'BadGateway'.

The email addresses are valid users.  Any idea why it would fail?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Tom_Slosse
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hey  @vman

Try and readd the approval step and see if its still the same error.

Also if you type the email addresses in does Flow give you the recommended email addresses that are in your organization?

Kind regards

Tom

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered.

Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up.

Hi Tom,

I first noticed the issue in a bigger flow so to norrow it down I created a new flow just with the Start Approval action but that failed too.

When I type the email addresses in the Assigned to field, Flow does resolve to existing users. 

Best Regards,

VM

Tom_Slosse
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hey @vman

Could you share a screenshot or something about this error.

It will give more insights to help solve this problem.

Kind regards

Tom

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered.

Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up.

Tom_Slosse
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hey @vman

Those email addresses aren't by any chance Distribution/O365 groups?

Also if it is a 500 error it is a temporary error so if you try and resubmit it should work after some time.

If the addresses are groups you should delete that and use personal email addresses instead.

Kind regards

Tom

Tom, thanks for taking the time to look in this issue.

I've attached a simple flow that you can manually start on an item and has a single Start Approval action.

StartApproval.PNG

The users are individual O365 users with a valid license and they are members of a SharePoint group. 

I have tested with each user individually and it works fine, if I put both it fails with the 500 error mentioned previously. I have resubmitted the flow several times but no luck so far.

Best Regards,

VM

v-yamao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vman,

I have made a test to send an approval email to multiple users. It works fine, no error returned.

It seems that you are using a Comma to separate the email addresses, please try to use a semicolon to see if it will work.

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hey @v-yamao-msft

@vman is using semicolons, there is nothing wrong in his Flow.

If I tried with multiple approvers there was only one mail sent to the first person who was in the approvers field.

And it occurs in an every flow vman is making with approvals.

@vman do the users have permission to use flow? Maybe the free license isnt activated.

But it would be odd if you need a flow license to just approve some things but you never know.

Kind regards

Tom

vman

Hi,

I have done further testing. I tried a simple approval flow in a different tenant and it worked as expected. 

Now it seems that some users are able to receive the emails from the Start Approval action, others are not. But all my users have a valid license, and they can send and receive emails (they get the email if I use an Send an email action in a Flow).

I have now logged a support ticket with Microsoft and will see what they say and update this thread when I have more info.

VM

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Top Solution Authors
Users online (23,600)