cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ConanMcDonnell1
Level: Power Up

Store a form response in a variable and trigger an action when the variable reaches a value

Hi everyone

I'm pretty new to Forms so I wonder if you can help me with what might be quite a basic request.

I've created a scheduled Flow to send out a Form every morning.

The form is a check-list and when a particular action is not carried out on three consecutive working days (i.e. the option 'failed' is selected on three days ina row) I would like this to trigger an escalation email to e.g. a manager.

The Form responses are being recorded in a basic SharePoint custom list.

Can anyone suggest a method for storing the number of 'failure' responses in a variable and then triggering an action once that variable reaches 3, sends an email and then resets to 0?

Would I use the variable feature in Flow for this, or is there a way to do it using a separate simple Custom List which has only one value which acts as a counter?

Many thanks for your help on this - I have done some research but I don't really understand the responses I've seen to similar questions.

Conan McDonnell

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Store a form response in a variable and trigger an action when the variable reaches a value

Hi @ConanMcDonnell1 ,

It is recommended that you use an additional list to achieve your needs, which is independent of the custom list you mentioned.

• Use this list to determine that a particular action is not carried out on three consecutive working days.
  • Create a new list to store the Response option or other content.

54.PNG

Then configure the following flow:

• After a user submits the form, get the selected option and create an item in the specified list.
  • According to ID to obtain the last three items, use Filter array to filter out the items whose option is failed.
  • Use length() function to get the number of items. If it is equal to 3, send the message and delete all the items in the list.

Image reference:

51.PNG52.PNG53.PNG

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Store a form response in a variable and trigger an action when the variable reaches a value

Hi @ConanMcDonnell1 ,

It is recommended that you use an additional list to achieve your needs, which is independent of the custom list you mentioned.

• Use this list to determine that a particular action is not carried out on three consecutive working days.
  • Create a new list to store the Response option or other content.

54.PNG

Then configure the following flow:

• After a user submits the form, get the selected option and create an item in the specified list.
  • According to ID to obtain the last three items, use Filter array to filter out the items whose option is failed.
  • Use length() function to get the number of items. If it is equal to 3, send the message and delete all the items in the list.

Image reference:

51.PNG52.PNG53.PNG

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

ConanMcDonnell
Level: Power Up

Hi Barry

Many thanks for your help.

I will try this out and let you know how I got on.

All the best

Conan

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 347 members 6,010 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: