cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
diegoandre10
Level: Powered On

Submit Form to create and modify SharePoint list

Hi all

I created a flow when a response item is submited to update a sharepoint list.

test form.PNG

The form has 3 paths. 

New project: add status, % completion, date of completion.

Status update: add status, % completion, and the project ID

New target for completion date: add the project ID and new target for completion date

date form.PNGNew form.PNGupdate form.PNG

The flow is here detailed:

flow form.PNG

The problem I have with the flow is that it adds items but it does not modify existing items on the sharepoint list. For example if you select the option status update or new target for completion date, if you enter the existing project ID on the sharepoint list and fill the rest of the data, the sharepoint list wont update, it will add a new item

So the question is, how to update an existing item in sharepoint list when I want to give an status update or enter a new target date.

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Submit Form to create and modify SharePoint list

Hey @diegoandre10 

Replace the columnName in the filter query with ProjectID

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @diegoandre10 

This is because in the flow, you are not checking if the response in the form is Status Update/ New Target completion date. What you need to do is, before the Create a new item action, add a condition to check if the Type of project is either Status Update or New Target Completion date. In the yes branch, add an action Get Items and in the filter query of the list items type ProjectId eq''. In the single quotes, select the project ID from the dynamic selector from the response of the forms. I am assuming that the Project ID will be unique all across. Now, add an action to update an item and in this for the ID select the ID from the dynamic selector under the Get Items outputs. This will add an apply to each loop (but as the project ID is unique there will only be one value)In the update action map all the fields accordingly. 

In the no branch of the condition simply add the create item action as you have in your flow right now. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

diegoandre10

Hi @yashag2255 

Thanks for your help

I did some changes in the flow, however I didnt fully understand the logic I have to follow in the flow.

duda1.PNGduda2.PNG

First of all, the condition. What should be the conditions?

I placed an or, so if project ID is not equal to null (for both Status update and target for completion date) then get items, if not, create an item.

On the get items query, what should I use there?

Also for the update item icon, What should I use for the ID*?

Just in case, I have 2 project id's in my form (yes they are unique). The reason to have 2, it's because of the branching. See below:

branching.PNG

Thanks

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @diegoandre10 

Please see the screeshot below: temp.PNG

Here, you need to actiallu write the choices in the condition action. Then after the get items action, you can add the udpate action and reference to the ID from the dynamic selector. Note that you need to find the column that has unique values in order for this to work (makes sense?)

Hope this Helps!

diegoandre10

Hi, my equivalent to Question in the condition would be the Status updte or New targer for completion date

questions.PNG

However, on the dropdown dynamic menu, they dont appear as seen below:

dynamic.PNG

I tried wtitting them down manually under the dynamic content or expressoin but they wont show up

Thanks a mill.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @diegoandre10,

I have tested on my side and the type of project appeared.Annotation 2019-09-09 144050.png

After you modified your MS Form, you can save your Flow and then reopen it, the dynamic content will appear.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

diegoandre10

Hi

The Flow now is not having an error, which is good. Howver when I do a status update or enter new target date (choice 2 and choice 3) it creates items in the sharepoint list intead of modifying.

I guess the flow is not understanding choice 2 or choice 3:

choice2.PNGchoice3.PNG

We are getting closer.

THanks @v-litu-msft 

diegoandre10

I changed the condition names to the actual ones I have in the form:

The new project works, but the update item wont:

conditions.PNG

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hey @diegoandre10 

In the filter query you need to write the ColumnName eq '' In the '' select the dynamic content for the forms here. Note that if you have spaces in the column name e.g., column name => column_x0020_name eq ''. (you need to replace all the spaces with _x0020_)

Hope this Helps!

diegoandre10

Hi

If you mean the column name of the sharepoint list, I did this:

Filter.PNG

I entered the project ID because it's the value the has to be replaced. 2 different project ID depending on the status update or new target for completio date.

Sorry if I did not understand correctly

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hey @diegoandre10 

Not like that. So you will have to get the column name from your sharepoint list and check the forms output with that. Please see the screenshot below: 

ee33.PNG

Here, ProjectName is the column name on SharePoint and I have chosen the Project Name field from the forms' response. Makes sense?

Hope this Helps!

diegoandre10

corrected to this:

Filter.PNG

Still nothing

Thanks

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hey @diegoandre10 

Please see the screenshot here: 

@yashag2255 wrote:

Hey @diegoandre10 

Not like that. So you will have to get the column name from your sharepoint list and check the forms output with that. Please see the screenshot below: 

ee33.PNG

Here, ProjectName is the column name on SharePoint and I have chosen the Project Name field from the forms' response. Makes sense?

Hope this Helps!

I can see in your screenshot, you are missing the eq

Hope this Helps!

diegoandre10

It failed 😞

I dont know why it keeps giving an error

Filter.PNG

Also not quite sure what the filter query is for. I have 2 project ID's should I use both ?

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hey @diegoandre10 

Can you please share a screenshot of the error? are you populating the Status column with the Project ID? Which column in your sharepoint list does the Project ID go? You have to check that column. and if you have two different columns for two different project ID's, you can use the ProjectID1 eq '' and ProjectID2 eq ''. Select the appropriate attributes in the single quotes. 

Hope this Helps!

diegoandre10

Hi

Project ID is the same column on the sharepoint list.

projectID.PNG

The reason I use 2 project ID is because of the branching.

The error is:

bad request.PNG

I did this, but still doesnt work:

eq.PNG

Thanks.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @diegoandre10 

I dont see the ProjectID2 column in your sharepoint list. Cn you remove that from the filter query? your filter query should just have ProjectID eq 'selecttheformresponsehere'. Now run the flow and see if you continue to get the same errior? So the user will select the numbers 1-6 on the Project ID in the form right? 

Hope this Helps!

diegoandre10

Hi

Let me refrase.

The form has the following branching, as you can see here I have the 2 project ID, depending on the selection it takes a different path, thats why I had to do two of them.

vamos de nuevo.png

The sharepoint list should only have 1 column of project ID, not two. The 2 projects Id's should update the one column of the SP list (depending if you select status update or new target for completio date).

Here is the form fot you to see it: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=qyaNVKqM4UmXwqGxoGzDnF44xrjcDkxEutC7LViQUAVUMzkz...

Please let me know if it makes sense.

Thanks.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hey @diegoandre10 

Got it. So yo can make a change to your filter query as : columnName eq 'projectid1' or columnName eq 'projectid2'. This will check for both the project IDs and return the item matching it. 

Hope this Helps!

diegoandre10

Hi

I did this:

part1.PNG

part2.PNG

When I submitted a form it didnt work.

It says get items failed

prueba3.PNG

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,688)