Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dhalpin
Helper III
Helper III

Switch: Default = "go to next"?

Hi all,

I am using Flow to watch 5 columns in a Sharepoint list ("Person 1", "Person 2", etc).  I have 1 switch per column, and everything works great unless a Switch is not activated.  If there switch doesn't find a "true" it fails - but I would like it to just skip to the next switch/evaluation.  I see the Default action in the switch, but I don't know how to set Default = skip to next step. 

Any advice?

SwitchQstn.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dhalpin
Helper III
Helper III

I wasn't able to figure out the correct usage of Coalesce, so I just used a series of Condtionals.  Thank you anyway for your help @Pstork1 .

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Can you explain a bit more what you are trying to accomplish?  If none of the other cases match in a switch it will automatically use default, which will drop through to the next action if you don't put anything in it.

Are you actually testing 5 different variables using the switches?  Can you expand them and show the cases inside the switch?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
dhalpin
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks for the prompt reply @Pstork1 !

The 5 columns are "Choice" columns, and the choices are peoples' names.  This is a way to designate technicians that are working on a project.  I have PowerAutomate sending an email to each person if they're specified from the drop down. So:

Switch 1

If 'Tech 1' eq 'Bob' > send an email to bob@company.com
If 'Tech 1' eq 'Joe' > send an email to joe@company.com
If 'Tech 1' eq 'Jane' > send an email to jane@company.com

Switch 2

If 'Tech 2' eq 'Bob' > send an email to bob@company.com
If 'Tech 2' eq 'Joe' > send an email to joe@company.com
If 'Tech 2' eq 'Jane' > send an email to jane@company.com

Unfortunately if only column 1 is specified, the flow fails at Switch 2, saying it is Null.  It doesn't continue through Switch 2 to Switch 3.

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

When you put the value to be evaluated in each switch put it inside a coalesce() function.  Taht way if the value is null it will substitute the alternate value.  For example lets say Tech 2 is null

Coalesce(Tech2.Value, 'default')

will then evalutate the switch using 'default' not the null value for Tech2.  You can supply any default value you want.  Since there isn't a case for default it will fall through the default case.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
dhalpin
Helper III
Helper III

I wasn't able to figure out the correct usage of Coalesce, so I just used a series of Condtionals.  Thank you anyway for your help @Pstork1 .

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

Users online (44,790)