cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimoLenz
Level: Powered On

Teams Channel creation using flow, does not create SharePoint folder

Hi,

I build a flow that creates a channel in a given Microsoft Teams team. That works all fine. 

After channel creation I look at the SharePoint library and could not see the channel folder.

But after I clicked the files-tab in Teams, the folder is created ...

Has anybody some thoughts on this?

I would need the folder as I would like to copy a folder structure into the channel folder using flow.

thanks in advance 

Timo

7 REPLIES 7
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Teams Channel creation using flow, does not create SharePoint folder

Hi @TimoLenz,

I did a test on my side and created a custom channel using the Create a channel action.

72.PNG

Click on the newly created channel in Teams, then click on "Open in SharePoint" to go directly to the corresponding folder.

73.PNG

You will find that these folders are created in "Documents".

74.PNG

Please take a try.

Best Regards,

Barry

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
TimoLenz

Hi @v-Bacar-msft,

thanks for reproducing me issue. But that’s exactly me problem, the folder is only created if “someone” goes to the newly created team channel and opens the file tab.

Please try the following:
1. Create the channel using the flow action
2. *do not go to the channel in teams*
3. Open your browser and navigate to the team site
4. Go to the shared document library
5. You will see the General folder and other channel folders, but not the channel folder created a few seconds ago.
6. Now go to teams and open the file tab
7. Switch back to your browser and you see that the folder is there.

—-

You can do the same with a manual creation of the channel. The behavior is here different. The folder is created without opening the file tab.

—-

I need this, because I want to copy some files and folders into the channel directly
After creation in flow.

Kg
Timo
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @TimoLenz,

Thank you for your sharing and reply.

I did the test on my side, and it is exactly the same as what you described. If we don't click "Open in SharePoint", we can't see the newly created channel under the Document folder.

Do you want to configure the action directly in the Flow, copy the corresponding file into the newly created channel or in SharePoint?

If it is the second case, I feel that the current issue does not seem to affect your operation.

If it is the former, could you provide the specific action you want to configure? Maybe I can achieve your needs through other way.

Please provide more details and we would provide proper workaround for you.

Best Regards,

Barry

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Stefan_Gi

Hello, we face exactly the same problem with Flow. This seems to be a pretty new bug since the channel creation via PowerShell with the Teams module is also affected, although it still worked perfectly 6 weeks ago. As an alternative, we tried to build a flow, but this results in the same scenario that @TimoLenz described. Without clicking the "Files" tab in Teams after creating the channel, no corresponding directory is available in the Sharepoint document library of the related team site.

@v-bacao-msft:

Our use case is the following:

1. We want to create a team channel (with our presumption that a directory with the same name is also immediately created in Sharepoint).
  2. Right after the previous step, we want to copy folders to this newly created directory in Sharepoint.

However, step 2 will always fail because the path of the directory we assumed to exist is unknown (since the directory is not created automatically, but only when the "Files" tab in Teams is clicked). This behavior is really strange and besides Flow, the "New-TeamChannel" command in Powershell produces the same issue. Weird that at least the Powershell command worked as expected in November 2018, as already said. That's why I suppose that the action in Flow was successful in November as well, but is not anymore.

Do you have any idea how to approach this problem? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Stefan

sscarcella
Level 8

I am seeing the same thing happen which casues problems because if users go to SharePoint first they start to create folders and then there will be duplicates....  will they be fixing this?

KevinLee40
Level: Power Up

I'm getting the same problem with PowerShell.  

Our use case is similar in that we want to create a channel, then create a standard subfolder structure for our users.  We also would like to modify the access to some of these folders. 

Kev

hsmehta
Level: Power Up

We are also facing same issue, automating teams provisioning using powerapps and flow to create channels and predefined folder structure.

Tried creating folder on background but it does not map to channel and creates own folder. Pls help is this feature or expected behavior.

This is blocker for teams rollout and impact adoption as well.

Hemal.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 209 members 5,121 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: