cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper III
Helper III

Teams - send an email when a post is added to a Channel including post content, ability to respond IN TEAMS

Hi all! I would like to build a flow that send an email when a post is added to a Channel, including the content of the post and the ability to respond in Teams from the email.

Since notifications in Teams are so unreliable, I'm looking for a workaround that allows me to trigger an email that duplicates an email notification sent by Teams (which our users report rarely receiving, despite having set notifications correctly and even if they are inactive in Teams). I'm aware of the "Email Out" feature in Teams, but since there's no way to respond in Teams from the email, user tend to reply to the email itself, which duplicates the very issue we're trying to solve for.

Thanks in advance to anyone that has any insight! It would be a lifesaver in terms of our workflow for leadership communications. 

2 REPLIES 2
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

@KBeale I would shy away from it seeing how this can become complicated easily, but conceptually below steps should work:

1. Trigger when a new channel message is added

2. get message ID into a variable

3. send an email to recipient using adaptive card with information from added message (use timeout options)

4. get response from adaptive card and put into variable

5. post a reply to the same channel using the message ID and response from adaptive card

The last step may take you to an infinite loop since you are reply to the channel and it will trigger step 1 again. So you might want to add something to the subject for example when a reply is made and not act on it based on that.

Also, I'm not sure who your recipients in step 3 if one or more person. You'll need an email address to send so you'll probably get members of the channel (another step) and send each one an email with an adaptive card and wait for their response. I send adaptive cards to users to get input to write back to a database and they're not always reponsive.

One way to minimize complication is to setup a shared mailbox, when a message is posted in teams, you send an email to your distribution with the shared mailbox email as the sender. When you users reply to that email, you have another flow to monitor the incoming emails on your shared mailbox and post it's content/replies to the channel "as a reply" with the name of the person who replied included. You'll have to capture the msg ID upfront in order to reply to it in TEAMS.

Anyway, goodluck!

Thank you so much for the detailed response! I'll do some testing and let you know how it works! 🙂 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PP Bootcamp Carousel

Global Power Platform Bootcamp

Dive into the Power Platform stack with hands-on sessions and labs, virtually delivered to you by experts and community leaders.

secondImage

Power Platform Community Conference On Demand

Watch Nick Doelman's session from the 2020 Power Platform Community Conference on demand!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (10,152)