cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ericonline
Community Champion
Community Champion

Test for Empty Array?

Hello. I'm using the O365Users connector to look up employees in Active Directory. If an employee is NOT in AD, the response is Body: []

I cannot figure out how to determine if "[]" is true using a Condition.

I've tried 10 different Expressions including:

• empty(array('Search_for_users'))
  • array('Search_for_users', '[]')
  • array('Search_for_users', '/[/]')
  • []
  • '[]'
  • '/[/]'
  • string('[]')
  • and every other iteration I could think of!

flowAd5.png

Can anyone assist?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ericonline
Community Champion
Community Champion

Jeez, this is crazy. Finally got this after spending MANY hours trying every variation...

Apparently taking the Body from Search_for_users and comparing it to an empty() array...

flowAD6.png

Is NOT the same as adding empty() alone...

flowAD7.png

This is the type of thing that make learning Flow VERY DIFFICULT.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
ericonline
Community Champion
Community Champion

Jeez, this is crazy. Finally got this after spending MANY hours trying every variation...

Apparently taking the Body from Search_for_users and comparing it to an empty() array...

flowAD6.png

Is NOT the same as adding empty() alone...

flowAD7.png

This is the type of thing that make learning Flow VERY DIFFICULT.

View solution in original post

I agree! I ran into the same problem.

I ended up convering the body array to a string and checking if the length was less or eq to 2 ([]):

length(string(body('Search_for_users')))

Not very elegant but it works for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

gosh I wish I found this thread earlier... think I've gone through every iteration other than that one

@RezaDorrani also showed me another method for this type of check. Might be of use to folks...

empty(body('Search_for_users')) is equal to true

You don't need to convert to string. you can try use length(body('Search_for_users')) equal 0

Martin_MC
Helper II
Helper II

Hello! And apologies for hijacking this thread slightly but I have a question on the back of it.

You / OP has said "If an employee is NOT in AD, the response is Body: []"

However I'm finding that the body for one particular flow / user is [] even though they ARE in AD. And I'm wondering if anyone knows why this might be? I can see the user has a handful of empty data fields within their AD user object (Job Title, Department etc) so my go-to thought is that they are being treated as a non-entity because one of these fields is empty, but I'm not sure if that's definitely the case, or which field if it is the case.

LadyAda
Frequent Visitor

Thank u!, it worked perfectly.

You are correct. Your solution is even better. Thanks. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

This seems like bug as workaround what I did is create another variable as empty array used that to compare with out value which in our case is body i believe.

Heey,

I know this is an old issue, but I write this down anyway for people new to this subject.

This issue has nothing to do with Flow really and it isn't a bug. The logic you try to apply is incorrect and Flows is correct. The Condition action should have a Boolean (true or false) as input. The function empty(variable x) returns 'true' when variable x is empty or 'false' if it is not empty. In your example you want to check if 'Search_for_users' is empty, but you don’t. You check if the value of ‘Search_for_users’ is equal to the return value of the empty(variable x) function.

For example: ‘Search_for_users’ doesn’t have a value (this means it’s value isn’t true or false, but empty). The function empty(‘Search_for_users’) returns true because ‘Search_for_users’ is empty. So what you are asking in your first example is: Is the body of ‘Search_for_users’ equal to the return value of empty('Search_for_users)? NO it isn’t. ‘The body for Search_for_users’ isn’t true but empty. In other words: Is null equal to true --> No it is not.

Your second example DOES work because empty(‘Search_for_users’) returns true to the Condition action. In your first example you compare the body value of ‘Search_for_users’ with the return value of the empty() function, which in turn returns false to the Condition action.

So your condition should be: empty(‘Search_for_users’) is equal to true.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Top Solution Authors
Users online (45,752)