cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Testing a flow that uses "Get Manager" without test approvals to my manager - workaround using a variable?

I'm working on and need to test a sequential approval that uses Office 365 Users - Get Manager. I need to be able to test the Flow, but I want to avoid sending numerous emails to my actual manager. Is there a way to add a step that forwards communications that would go to the manager to another email address, while still maintaining the integrity of the Flow for testing purposes (i.e. I could safely just remove that step when I'm done?)? Maybe using a variable to replace the manager's email with my own email? Any insight and/ or help with the steps very appreciated! 

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Re: Testing a flow that uses "Get Manager" without test approvals to my manager - workaround using a variable?

I would do as you suggested and use either a Compose or a variable to hold the email.  Then after you retrieve the manager you can store the email address in the compose or variable.  Then add a step just after that to change the value to a dummy email address. When you are done testing just remove the step that inserts the dummy address and it will start using the manager's email.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Highlighted
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Re: Testing a flow that uses "Get Manager" without test approvals to my manager - workaround using a variable?

Hi @KBeale  

If you have access to the azure portal, and you have already test users so you can alter your manager to that of the test user through the Azure portal , and returning back after you finish your testing.

Set Manager via Azure AD portal

Follow the below steps to configure manager from Azure AD Portal.

• Go to Azure AD Portal.
  • In the left navigation, click Azure Active Directory and click Users.
  • Select (click on user name hyperlink) the required user, click on Edit under Job info section and then add or remove manager field as shown in the below image.
Mira_Ghaly_0-1596022550637.png

If this post helps you with your problem, please mark your as Accepted solution.

If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

MG (Naturally Curious)

If this post helps you with your problem, please mark your as Accepted solution.If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,033)