cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Time Out Trigger

Well, my previous post with a "solution", I spoke to soon.

I found a challenge I can't figure out how to overcome.  I have a progressive approval flow:

Start approval 1 (with 24hour Time Out)
                                                                                          |
                                                                     If Start and approval 1 times out
                                                                         Start an approval 2
                                                               (with a "you're getting this after 24 hours" letter)
                                                                                          |
                                                       Update Sharepoint list item with approval 2 response
I can't get to...................

If Start approval 1 (with 24hour Time Out) is successful
                                      ________________________|_________________________
                                      |                                                                                                 |
                               Approved                                                                                Disapproved
Update Sharpoint list item w/ approval 1 response                           Update Sharepoint list item w/ approval 1 response
                                      |                                                     
                     Start an approval 3

(with standard approval process letter)
                                       |

Update Sharepoint list item w/ approval 3 response      

If I make a condition for run after the Update Sharepoint List with approval 2,  the "run after" condition can only be based on the prior step which is "Update Sharepoint List item." I need it to be based off the If Approval 1 is successful, then...

If I say (in that place) run after the prior step is completed, it sends the standard approval letter to the same person who just approved the 24 hour letter. If I say (in that place) skip if the prior step is completed, it loops.

I had it working, until I realized I wasn't getting the updated responses. The minute I added the step to update the sharepoint list, the whole thing broke down.

Help. And please, I don't understand all the logic technology lingo y'all can use. I need it explained very basically.

I hope I did an adequate job explaining my challenge. I guess I don't understand why the argument has to be fixed in the condition, why can't the user tell the flow what the run after condition is based upon.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Re: Time Out Trigger

@Anonymous, try parallel branch for the approval and updating the item in SP List. In this case, the second Approval step still depends on first Approval if its timeout. 

Parallel action - Update.PNG 

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Time Out Trigger

So in your parallel branch, are you updating the “Second Approver, You’re getting this email because one timed out” response? Or are you updating the first approval which didn’t time out, after which I would send to the second approver?

Helpful resources

Announcements
FirstImage

Microsoft Ignite 2020

Check out the announcement of Power Platform content at Microsoft Ignite!

thirdImage

Experience what's new for Power Automate

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Automate features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,401)