Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Leslie
Level: Powered On

Time Passed Trigger

Good morning,

I have a functioning multi-level approval flow with a challenge. One approver is notoriously slow to respond. We need to bypass him after 48 hours and move on to the next approval. Is there a trigger that would work? And, where would I put that trigger in an approval flow - between the approval email and the yes/no conidition?

Also, it is a flat approval of four; that has to then be approved by a manager. Could I replace the multi-level with a "Everyone" instead of "Anyone" and only do the one approval? How would I update my sharpoint list? Would a single "Update Item" work for all four approvals? If so, where/how could I put in the time trigger for the miscreant so that he won't hold up the approval going to the next level.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Time Passed Trigger

Hi @Leslie,

As @Pieter_Veenstra said, you could set a time out you in the approval action, and configure the flow will then continue after the approval action time out or successfully.

You could configure the approval action as below:

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

And you could configure the another approval would run after the first approval action time out or successfully. :

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Best regards,

Alice

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Within the approval action you could set a time out. The flow will then continue after the time out period.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Leslie,

As @Pieter_Veenstra said, you could set a time out you in the approval action, and configure the flow will then continue after the approval action time out or successfully.

You could configure the approval action as below:

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

And you could configure the another approval would run after the first approval action time out or successfully. :

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Best regards,

Alice

DevendraV
Level 8

@Leslie, I would suggest to have four separate approvals for all of them and maintain the status of each one of them in Single status column (Line Manager Approval, Director Approval, CEO Approval etc) so you can differentiate the status depends on your requirements.

Using this approach you need to update the item four time after each approval and if any one of them rejects the request you can terminate the workflow or go back to the previous state depends on your requirement.

Having separate approvals can help you customize the approval emails depends on the level of approval and you have more control as well.

You can check this post https://sergeluca.wordpress.com/2017/10/22/microsoft-flow-approval-escalation-sharepoint/ on skip if approver doesn't respond after a certain time and how to move to next level in the workflow. 

Hope this helps.

Leslie
Level: Powered On

Thank you. I finally determined that the flow approval workflow I had was best, so I absolutely agree. I did use the time out feature following this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4iuVi1Vtgg I found; however, that to make the original flow trigger if a response was made within the time frame, I had to add a skip in the run sequence to make the original flow work correctly.

Thank you for the help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

thirdImage

New Flow Community Board!

Check out the new Microsoft Flow Community Blog Topic Suggestion board!

fourthImage

Australia Summit

Travel to Melbourne and network with thousands of peers!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 194 members 3,750 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: