cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Abu11
Frequent Visitor

Track time spent on editing SPO documents

Hello,

I am looking for a away to track time spent on editing a file in SharePoint online. I have been digging around for options and came across few 3rd party apps that can do something (doctor time, clockify.. etc), However I prefer to leverage PowerAutomate (if possible).

So basically a timer is triggered whenever a user open (or start editing) a file and keep running until the file is closed. (The time calculated can include the idle time means file open without being actively worked on) 

I am looking for some ideas/avenues for search as I feel stuck.. thanks in advance 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rhiassuring
Super User
Super User

Oh! Not just documents.. okay, gotcha. 

I'm wondering if check-in check-out would even work - because it isn't necessarily the editing time. It'd be like saying that someone had been reading a book they got from the library from the second they took it out to the second they brought it back.  How specific does this need to be? 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Rhiassuring
Super User
Super User

Would it be possible to have check-in/check-out turned on, or is there co-authoring happening? I'm sure we could track the time between versions. 

We can do check in/out  if that the only possible trigger. Could you please elaborate further how I can use checkin/out to track time ? At the end of the day I would like to have a single figure saying: to the best of our knowledge this is how much time spent on building/editing this doc. Thx

Rhiassuring
Super User
Super User

Well ... there is another, easier option, come to think of it. If we're talking about Microsoft Word, it actually tracks it in the document itself. 

Rhiassuring_0-1659774348936.png

If you go into the file, info, show all properties - it's up in the top right. 

You'd want to make sure you have the template time calculated (I can't recall right now if it wipes it clean when you Save As, or if it continues the value.)  But, it tracks how long the document was open in Edit mode.

Thanks again for your reply. I have investigated that option the gap is it only supports Word based on the numerous blogs I read. I am looking for a way that support different file types (word , excel, ppt, CAD..)

Thanks 

Rhiassuring
Super User
Super User

Oh! Not just documents.. okay, gotcha. 

I'm wondering if check-in check-out would even work - because it isn't necessarily the editing time. It'd be like saying that someone had been reading a book they got from the library from the second they took it out to the second they brought it back.  How specific does this need to be? 

I agree that would not be exactly editing time but is the best estimate they could have. Thanks @Rhiassuring for your thoughts on this 😊

Helpful resources

Announcements
 WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Register for a Free Workshop.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Users online (1,553)