cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
invintern
Helper II
Helper II

Tracking Specific Tasks to completion WITHIN a bucket - not any task completed inside the bucket

Hi,

First post here.

I am an intern at my company. We are experimenting with implementing our first Flows for some basic processes. I am attempting to make a Flow process complimentary to the team's existing work process so they do not have to change their actions for this Flow to work around them and with their process.

Essentially, I want this Flow to generate a task for the Trading Team, track when this specific task is completed, and then create a second planner card task for my supervisor. Trading Team completes their task as usual, my supervisor is notified and given a Card with her closeout actions.

I cannot find a way to track the ID of the task created within the Flow. Some websites suggest it is possible, but I can't figure it out.

I am open to alternate approaches, but would really like to avoid changing their underlying business process (not to be confused with a BPF!).

My ISSUE is that this Flow tracks ANY task completed within ANY bucket within the designated plan. When I create a 'test' task in a separate bucket within the plan and complete it, it will STILL trigger the second task to generate, creating the second task BEFORE the first is complete, regardless of what bucket the task is in (I think, I have only tested no bucket and a second bucket, technically not all of them - but I don't think that would help?)

Please let me know if you can help,

Thanks for all the advice that exists elsewhere on the forums.

invintern_0-1638391645171.png

-Ryan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AnthonyAmador
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @invintern 

I think you should separate this flow into two different flows, the first thing I noticed is that you are using a second trigger inside the flow and as you said the "When an a task is completed" trigger cannot differentiate between tasks, it only triggers when a task is completed on the Plan ID, so your flow will run and then wait for the next task completed and continue from there probably with the information of another task, did I explain myself? 

My advice is create two different flows, one to assign the task and one to run every time a task is completed and then assign the new task. 

Hope this helps.

Community Support Team - Anthony Amador

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AnthonyAmador
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @invintern 

I think you should separate this flow into two different flows, the first thing I noticed is that you are using a second trigger inside the flow and as you said the "When an a task is completed" trigger cannot differentiate between tasks, it only triggers when a task is completed on the Plan ID, so your flow will run and then wait for the next task completed and continue from there probably with the information of another task, did I explain myself? 

My advice is create two different flows, one to assign the task and one to run every time a task is completed and then assign the new task. 

Hope this helps.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the response,

Yes, this does make sense. For the purpose of simplicity within the office, I was hoping for a solution that would allow the trading team to maintain their current method of operation, rather than asking them to run a flow when they're done (and therefore teaching it to them).

It sounds like you believe my goal would be better achieved by asking the Trading Team to run their flow when their portion of the work is complete? I admit that would make the development much simpler for me.

I have SINCE modified the original flow (the copy screenshotted is preserved in case I need to go back) trying to use a different trigger (though I now realize that it may be difficult to use a non-trigger as a trigger) based on "Do until -> Checklist is Checked is equal to 'true' and for a second this seemed like a good solution. 

invintern_0-1638465170987.png

If I can force the flow to delay until the checklist is checked, is that going to work for me? Is there any other way I can wait for this item to be checked off before the second Planner card is generated?

Thank you for the help. In the meantime I can stand up a Flow for the second Planner Card, as you suggested.

invintern
Helper II
Helper II

Hi again, Anthony,

My supervisor approves of the dual-manual trigger method.

Therefore, I will go with it. 

Let me understand. 

In my words, what you want to do is create a new task to the supervisor every time the Trading Team has completed the task assigned to them and those tasks are only in one bucket, is that correct? 

Because I was thinking, they can create the task normally using the Planner site without a flow, like I supposed they normally do.

And then what you can do is only trigger the flow for that specific bucket in the planner plan creating a trigger condition in "When a new task is completed" trigger.

You can use this expression. 

@equals(triggerOutputs()?['body/BucketId'],'ryXcnPf8KkGACjEXWHcAJpcAMjw7')

And the trigger should look like this.

AnthonyAmador_0-1638477353375.png

AnthonyAmador_1-1638477442362.png

You have to get the bucket id ('ryXcnPf8KkGACjEXWHcAJpcAMjw7') from a previous run. 

Let me know if you need more help. 

Kind regards. 

I was writing when you replied and I didn't noticed. 

Glad to hear you find the way. 

Cheers

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

MPA Licensing.jpg

Ask your licensing questions at the Power Automate AMA!

Join Priya Kodukula and the licensing team, super users and MVPs to find answers to your questions on Power Automate licensing.

Users online (3,509)