cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mtagliaferri
Helper III
Helper III

Trigger When an item is created Vs When modified

I am trying to build a flow and have tried different options with the triggering method and have ended up with some epic fails the biggest with having dozens of flows triggered sending repetitive emails.

In SharePoint 2010 I have a flow that was triggered on ‘When the item is modified’ every time something was edited it would re-start the same flow

In PowerAutomate every time something is edited it will trigger a new flow, unless there is a way not to trigger a new flow that I am not aware of….

Basically I have a SharePoint library that contains many columns, the two primary columns are StartDate and EndDate; the EndDate and all the other columns can be modified multiple times.

I need the flow to email a notification (through various edits of the item) when the difference between EndDate and StartDate returns TOTDays greater than 7.

I believe the below chart is my best though to build the flow; the flow will be triggered  by When an item or file is modified this is because I already have a trigger When an item is created that will immediately update certain columns and therefore this flow will trigger.

Capture1.JPG

However I have realised that the flow will not trigger if when the item is created the TOTDays is already greater than 7 as the Get changes for an item or file will not pick up the change and therefore not progressing the flow. The below chart could be the right approach, however it seems to me a pretty complicated flow; are there other steps that I might not be aware of that may simplify the flow efficiently?

Capture2.JPG

2 REPLIES 2
RezaDorrani
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hi @mtagliaferri ,

Check out trigger conditions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKN4_5o2NUA&list=PLTyFh-qDKAiGFDykUngHNNstTABnc-tLv&index=1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Thanks,
Reza Dorrani, MVP
YouTube
Twitter

Hi @RezaDorrani 

That is a great explanatory video!!

Are you suggesting to add the EmailSent in the setting of When an item is modified and remove the condition in the flow?

and make it:

Capture3.JPG

Or even:

Capture4.JPG

Any other recommendation? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,545)