cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
janakavae
Level: Power Up

Trigger a flow only when a file properties are being modified in SharePoint document library

I need to start an approval with flow when only a user change the properties of a document (file) in a SharePoint document library. 

So I used 'When a file is created or modified' (properties only) as the trigger for my flow. To set it to start only when someone change the properties I added the following condition.

Modified is equal to Created

So I added the start an approval action to the If No branch of the condition. Because I don't want to start it when a file is being created. But when I try running this flow when creating a file or when modifying file properties it always becomes true in the condition mentioned above. How can I make it to run only when a user change properties of a file?

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Re: Trigger a flow only when a file properties are being modified in SharePoint document library

@janakavae

I haven't tested myself, since there used to be a trigger only for updates; but as far as I have read it has been substituted by this new trigger you are using.

My recommendation is to add a couple of Compose action blocks before the condition, assign "Created" and "Modified" vaules to each of them; and reexecute the flow. Then go to Run History, and inspect such values.

Actually you don't need to add these action blocks but inspect the outputs of the Trigger in old iterations, but it is easier to see these specific fields by adding Compose action blocks.

If you find the way to identify items updated vs items created please share with us you conclussions

Thank you in advance!

If anybody solved your question, remember to mark its post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Trigger a flow only when a file properties are being modified in SharePoint document library

Hi janakavae,

According to your scenario, I created a flow to start an approval email when created time is not equal to modified time.

A screenshot of my flow:
3.PNG

When the file is newly created, the Condition will return True, the action Start an approval won’t be started. While when the file is modified, the Condition will return False, then an approval email will be sent.

PS: For testing, I add two compose actions to get the return value of Modified and Created. So that I know that they are actually different.

4.PNG

5.PNG

Please try again with it. I assume this should work for you.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @janakavae,

What's your current siguation?

Have you tried it again?

Hope it is working for you now.

Best regards,

Mabel  Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Peggy2019
Level: Powered On

Hello

I am interested by yr flow process, I don't understand how you create your "compose" blocks. Can you make more screenshots pls ?

Thx

Highlighted
CYung
Level: Powered On

Hi there,

I am doing my own tutorial on the Trigger: "When a file is created or modified (properties only)". From the history, i found the flow is executed after a file is uploaded to Document library. After that I tried to edit/amend the properties / fields of the item but the flow is not trigger. Anyone can advice this?

Thanks with regards,

CY

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 147 members 3,925 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: