cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RameshMukka
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Trigger a flow when an Outlook Email is categorised using color coding

I would to trigger a flow when an email is categorized (color coding) for which there isn't any trigger. If it isn't possible, I am also ok if the flow can be triggered when an email is manually moved to a folder when arrived which as well is not possible. I don't want to filter email with sender or subject to categorize them as the business case doesn't allow. Only feasible option I see is when email is flagged but how can we categorize it? How can I find information related to the flag from flow? There isn't any dynamic properties available regarding any flagging. I ultimately want to create tasks in several buckets in planner for categorized emails. What all options am I left with?

10 REPLIES 10
mobashee
Community Support
Community Support

Dear Partner,

This is not currently achievable from flow can you please submit your idea below

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Did I answer your question? Please consider to mark my post as a solution to help others.

Regards,

Mohamed Sanuj Basheer

joost_s
Regular Visitor

Hello,

Has the above request been made possible already? I'm looking to do exactly the same thing but I couldn't find any solution yet.

Best wishes,

Joost

@joost_s 

Not possible yet. I had to go for alternatives like create Shared Mailboxes for every category I had and forward emails to them and write flows for all those categories.

joost_s
Regular Visitor

Okay, thanks!

lisaneilson82

This is the very thing I'm looking for.  We have a shared mailbox for all requests to come back to work in the office but they are categorised by department and we want to forward them to the named department

BadtzMari
Regular Visitor

@RameshMukka wrote:

I would to trigger a flow when an email is categorized (color coding) for which there isn't any trigger. If it isn't possible, I am also ok if the flow can be triggered when an email is manually moved to a folder when arrived which as well is not possible.

Create a flow for when an email arrives and put the search folder as your subfolder?

I am doing something similar. I use the trigger for when an email is flagged, but put the search folder my subfolder. That gives me a little more control to intentionally flag items. For example, I have a subfolder of my inbox called Printing. I move manually move print requests into that folder and then flag them and my flow creates a new to-do on my Printing planner. I have another folder for "Websites,"  that adds to-dos to the Websites Planner. 

It works for what I need to do, but it is not that scalable or dynamic. You need to set up the flows with 1-1 information mapping, and I don't think you can dynamically read in the subfolder variable and use that to map it to the appropriate planner/bucket/etc.

I wish MS had the functionality of gmail/zapier/trello to create tasks based on Gmail labels, but there is no feature like that yet to use Outlook categories.

This should have been made possible by now.

vazexa
Frequent Visitor

Any news with this?? Including enail categories as triggers will be very useful for a lot of users!!

mcundiff

Insane there are so many options that can be a trigger, yet one as simple as Color Category isn't one of those options.

vazexa
Frequent Visitor

I know! I wouldnt imagine that categories are not flow triggers yet!

Helpful resources

Announcements
 WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Register for a Free Workshop.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Users online (2,970)