cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgentile
Frequent Visitor

Trigger condition comparing column date with Modified date

Hello,

I am trying to create a trigger condition for use on SharePoint's "When an item is created or modified" trigger but can't get it working.

The condition I want to test is if the date in a SharePoint list text column is equal to the date in the SharePoint's default Modified column.

Here is trigger condition I am trying: @equals(triggerBody()?['tiered'],triggerBody()?['Modified'])

Tiered is a text field in a SharePoint list and its value is set in a Power App using Text(Now(),ShortDateTime).

The SharePoint list Modified column is set to use the Standard Display Format.

When I view the list the columns match but the trigger condition doesn't seem to ever evaluate to true.

date-columns.png

So, I created to variables in my flow and set the values to using the Dynamic content values from the trigger:

variable-config.png

and I get 

variables.png

So, it appears that although they look the same when viewing the list, the values are actually different.  

I'm guessing I might need to format them so they look the same (I'll take any suggestions on how to do that) or perhaps I need to change my Tiered SharePoint column from text to date.

Can anyone please steer me in the right direction?

Thanks,

robertg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I ended up determining the difference between the two dates and times.  But rather than do this in a trigger condition I just added a condition inside the Flow.  So if the time difference was 2 or less I sent the email, otherwise did nothing.

This is the code to determine the difference:

div(div(mul(sub(int(variables('modified')),int(variables('tiered'))),100),1000000000),60)

Thanks again for the suggestion to use a date field @abm!

robertg

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
abm
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @rgentile 

Not sure why the modified not showing the date only format?

If you looking only the date to compare then you could do the following

image.png

Above I have two compose and formatDateTime() expressions. Following are the expressions I used.

formatDateTime(variables('modified'),'yyyy-MM-dd')

formatDateTime(variables('tier'),'yyyy-MM-dd')

Here I have formatted both dates to yyyy-MM-dd format. Next step you can compare both values and implement the rest of the logic.

Ideally I would use tier field as DateTime similar like modified. But the above logic could work as well.

Here is my run result

image.png
Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blogPower Automate Video Tutorials
rgentile
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply and the code @abm.  Is there a way to add time to the date when I compare them?  I need to make sure the date and time match.   

I was thinking perhaps my problem was related to the tier being a text field so thanks for confirming my thought that it could be part of the problem.  I appreciate your time and help.

robertg

I tried changing the Tiered column to a date format and the formats match.  But I see there is a bit of a time difference so I think it would always return false.  

variables-same-format.png

I'm thinking of trying to to determine if the times are within say a minute of each other rather than equal.  Sound reasonable?

Thanks

I ended up determining the difference between the two dates and times.  But rather than do this in a trigger condition I just added a condition inside the Flow.  So if the time difference was 2 or less I sent the email, otherwise did nothing.

This is the code to determine the difference:

div(div(mul(sub(int(variables('modified')),int(variables('tiered'))),100),1000000000),60)

Thanks again for the suggestion to use a date field @abm!

robertg

View solution in original post

abm
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @rgentile 

Yes thats the milli seconds difference. So if you want to ignore then use the format yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blogPower Automate Video Tutorials

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Top Solution Authors
Users online (43,517)