cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kgee
Level: Power Up

Trigger flow on item field update in Sharepoint List (Wait Until Command?)

Hi,

I haven't worked with Sharepoint in a few years since my last company had on-prem Sharepoint 2013. I had created workflows for tracking new hire and onboarding and had used a "wait until" command to wait for an item on the sharepoint list to be updated (such as an item field for "Task Completed" or potentially waiting on someone to input the new hires manager's name).

I am trying to do the same thing at my new company and are using Office online. I notice there is no wait to command in "Flows" and am unsure of how to do this.

I saw other posts saying to use a "Do until" command but I don't understand how to configure this properly (nor have I found a guide talking about how to set the reocurrences/timeouts). Also it seems the "Do Until" command has a limited timeframe that it can run for, which isn't helpful as there might be instances where a workflow gets kicked off, but then has to wait for someone to complete a task and that can take longer than the "Do Until" timeout limits.

Is there a way to do this (that doesn't involve a powerapps button?). 

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Trigger flow on item field update in Sharepoint List (Wait Until Command?)

Hi @kgee,

if what you need is that when an item in SharePoint list is updated, trigger the flow, I  think you do not need the do until. You just need to use the "SharePoint - when an item is created or modified" trigger.

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
kgee
Level: Power Up

I had to follow steps in another question that was similar to mine. Basically I created a list that I will hide that has a field and value set to (for example "Completed").

I then create a flow for my actual list that looks to see if my "Completed" field matches the field value in that hidden list so that it runs properly.

This seems sloppy and pointless to have to do this. Not sure why Microsoft decided to get rid of the "Wait Until" command. That was simple and easy to use and made sense. "Wait Until" field value is set to something specific.

salikanwar
Level: Powered On

I simply need a triger which runs when existing item is created in the list. Even "update item" does not work at all. If this works it will solve my issues.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

salikanwar
Level: Powered On

Yes. This is what I need, but I am being unable to do it.  When I use when an item is created or modified in the trigger it creates entries in both ways whether it is a new/existing item created. Please help.

Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 184 members 4,444 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: