cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TGMarsh
Level: Power Up

Trigger flow when only one field in list is modified

Hello - I have a flow that triggers an automated email when a list field, "Status" changes from 'Open' to closed. However, the email triggers whenever any field is changed. Is there a way to fine tune so that this will only trigger on the desired field and no other field?

inkedFlow.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Trigger flow when only one field in list is modified

Hi @TGMarsh,

As @ScottShearer said, there is no any trigger on a special column in list is modified,if you would like to trigger a flow when a special column in list is modified,

I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

You could take the alternative way offered by @ScottShearer, however, the alternative way wouldn't work when the field value in the list is modified several times.

I have another alternative way, you could also take a try with mine.

1. Add a yes/no type column "Status is changed" in the sharepoint list.

2.Every time a user modify the list, if he have modify the "Status" column,he must modify the "Status is changed" column to "Yes", 

if he haven't modify the "Status" column,he must keep the  "Status is changed" column to "No".

3.You could add an condition under the trigger to check if the "Status is changed" column is equal to true or false.if the "Status is changed"column is equal to true,send the email,if the  the "Status is changed" column is equal to false,do nothing.

Best regards,

Alice

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Super User
Super User

The short answer is no, you can't  have a Flow trigger only when a specified column is changed,

The simple work around is to store a copy of the column data in a separate column.  When the Flow is triggered, compare the two columns.  If they are the same, do nothing,  If they are not the same, take action as appropriate and update the additional column to match the value in the column you are monitoring.

There are other more elegant solutions, but what I have presented is the quick and simple fix.

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @TGMarsh,

As @ScottShearer said, there is no any trigger on a special column in list is modified,if you would like to trigger a flow when a special column in list is modified,

I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

You could take the alternative way offered by @ScottShearer, however, the alternative way wouldn't work when the field value in the list is modified several times.

I have another alternative way, you could also take a try with mine.

1. Add a yes/no type column "Status is changed" in the sharepoint list.

2.Every time a user modify the list, if he have modify the "Status" column,he must modify the "Status is changed" column to "Yes", 

if he haven't modify the "Status" column,he must keep the  "Status is changed" column to "No".

3.You could add an condition under the trigger to check if the "Status is changed" column is equal to true or false.if the "Status is changed"column is equal to true,send the email,if the  the "Status is changed" column is equal to false,do nothing.

Best regards,

Alice

View solution in original post

HelloWorld1
Level: Powered On

Hello,

I know how old this is but I have a question that is related to this one. When trying to trigger a flow based off the value of a specific column using a condition is there a way for it to recognize string values?

Like if you want an email sent only when Column A reads "send email" is there a way to do this? I tried to use one of my columns in a condition and for flow to check if a specific string was selected but it never works.

clbrown1983

I hate to comment on a stale thread; but I have found a way to trigger an approval flow based on a field value.

It looks like everyone has some kind of status field that needs to be evaluated (it's really how I started). After following the information posted at the beginning of the thread; I tested and received the expected result of failure.

However, if you initialize a variable and pull that field value into it (Initialize variable, then set variable to field value; in my instance the second step for setting was to use 'status value'). Once that is pulled into a variable the statement can be evaluated with the condition statement. I've tested on several different tables within my instance of SharePoint and it's pretty effective every time.

sirrad13

@clbrown1983 , can you post a screen shot of the solution?

clbrown1983

I can't do the image attachment (DLP Policies for my organization). But I can do the JSON code:

"Initialize_variable_-_StatusField": {
							"runAfter": {
								"Initialize_variable_-_EmailString": ["Succeeded"]
							},
							"type": "InitializeVariable",
							"inputs": {
								"variables": [{
										"name": "StatusField",
										"type": "String"
									}
								]
							}
						},
						"Set_variable_-_StatusField": {
							"runAfter": {
								"Initialize_variable_-_StatusField": ["Succeeded"]
							},
							"type": "SetVariable",
							"inputs": {
								"name": "StatusField",
								"value": "@triggerBody()?['Status']?['Value']"
							}
						}

KuldeepRam
Level: Powered On

@clbrown1983 I think the problem with your code is that if any other column's value changes and if your Status column has a value in it (whether its the same or changed status), it will trigger the flow as well.

clbrown1983

Correct; it will trigger for any modification; but will only proceed if the status field is equal to something I've configured to run.

I've done this on a few flows and it works fairly flawlessly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Speakers, submit your sessions now! Call for speakers ends Feb. 10!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,905)