cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mtagliaferri
Resolver I
Resolver I

Trigger for SharePoint List When an Item is Modified

I have come to a complete stop trying to figure out my issue, I am trying to avoid triggering a flow unnecessary or this going in a loop when editing a specific column in a SharePoint list, I am looking at the setting option (three dots) on When an item or a file is modified in a SharePoint list, any attempt I have been testing so far has failed on the trigger conditions.

I have various cases as following:

• If a specific field in Not Empty (changes from blank to a value, this can be a text or a number column in the SharePoint library) when the user edits the list and enter a value that will trigger the flow.
  • As per above but a Date Column (in SP2010 I used filed not equal to 01/01/1900).
  •  If a specific check box it ticked (therefore changes the status to Yes) will trigger the workflow (The column setting is choice/Checkbox and has only one option to check).

Any suggestions?

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mtagliaferri
Resolver I
Resolver I

I seem to have found the reason why the flow did not trigger, this was due to the fact that the field is not a Yes/No column in the SharePoint library.

@equals(triggerBody()?['CheckField'],true)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
fchopo
Super User
Super User

Hello @mtagliaferri 

You could use the following expressions:

1. Check text field is not empty:

not(empty(triggerBody()?['TextField1']))

2. Check Date field is not empty:

not(empty(triggerBody()?['DateField1']))

3. Check Choice field is checked (true):

equals(triggerBody()?['CheckField'],true)

So we can put the all 3 together:

@or(or(not(empty(triggerBody()?['TextField1'])),not(empty(triggerBody()?['DateField1']))),equals(triggerBody()?['CheckField'],true))

Hope it helps!

Ferran

Did I answer your question? Please consider to mark my post as a solution to help others.
Proud to be a Flownaut!

Hi @fchopo thanks for getting back, I have applied your suggestion but  it appears that it stops the flow to trigger also when it meets the criteria.

With no settings applied every time I edit any columns in the SharePoint list the flow will trigger, I then applied the setting as following:

@equals(triggerBody()?['RTW Completed'],true) 

As soon as this is entered the flow does not trigger not even when the RTW Completed check box is ticked.

Capture.PNG

mtagliaferri
Resolver I
Resolver I

@fchopo I think I am getting somehow closer, or at least I hope:

The above example is using the trigger When an item is created or modified, I have used a different trigger which is When an item or file is modified

I have tested it with :

not(empty(triggerBody()?['TextField1']))

and this works, however does not work with:

not(empty(triggerBody()?['DateField1']))

and 

equals(triggerBody()?['CheckField'],true)

Hello @mtagliaferri 

Could you try with the following expression?

@equals(triggerBody()?['RTW Completed']?['Value'],true) 

Regards,

Ferran

Did I answer your question? Please consider to mark my post as a solution to help others.
Proud to be a Flownaut!

@fchopo 

@equals(triggerBody()?['RTW Completed']?['Value'],true) 

does not seem to work, I have also tried 

@equals(triggerBody()?['RTW Completed']?['Yes'],true) 

but neithes this works

mtagliaferri
Resolver I
Resolver I

I seem to have found the reason why the flow did not trigger, this was due to the fact that the field is not a Yes/No column in the SharePoint library.

@equals(triggerBody()?['CheckField'],true)

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

New Process Advisor Capabilities carousel.png

Read the blog for the latest news

Read the latest about new experiences and capabilities in the Power Automate product blog.

PA Survey Carousel Image.png

We want to hear from you!

If you are a small business ISV/Reseller, share your thoughts with our research team.

AI Builder AMA June 7th carousel (up on May 25th, take down June 8th) (1).png

'Ask Microsoft Anything' about AI Builder!

The AI Builder team invite you to ask questions and provide helpful answers at our next AMA.

Users online (1,580)