cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JimBob_SF
Level: Power Up

Trigger "when a new email arrives in a shared mailbox" not working

I have a system account in AD, so it has an Exchange account.  We use that account to generate alert emails but it gets to the O365 Exchange server via SMTP.  The "When a new email arrives" action isn't detecting these emails.

When this account sends emails via SMTP, they show up in my inbox as user@mydomain.com, instead of user.  This tells me that Exchange doesn't think this email is fully internal, even though the user is a domain user.

Example:

The Flow action has a "From" field.  As stated above, the emails appear as from user@mydomain.com.  When I type that into the From field of the Action, it resolves to user.

It appears Flow thinks user <> user@mydomain.com.

Is there a way to tell the Action to look for user@mydomain.com instead of the AD user?  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JimBob_SF

Re: Trigger "when a new email arrives in a shared mailbox" not working

@v-micsh-msft I figured it out.  Mailbox Rules fire faster than Flow workflows and the issue was never with the syntax of the address.

I have a Rule in Outlook that moves all mail from my service account to a folder under Inbox.  The Flow workflow was looking at Inbox and never seeing the email.  Once I pointed the workflow to the sub-folder, it worked.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @JimBob_SF,

No, I don't think it is available to switch the content to display as User Email Address.

Under Microsoft Flow, if you type the full Email Address of an Internal user, it will automatically be resolved to the user name content, this content is not a user name text, it represents the User's corresponding Email.

This is the default behavior, however, you may consider submit your idea to suggest to change this behavior.

62.PNG

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
JimBob_SF

Michael - Thank you for taking a look.  I may not have described the issue correctly.

The UI in Flow seems to be working logically.  I'm selecting an AD user and it properly shows the display name as well as the email account.

The issue is that this AD account is being used by our job scheduler and the scheduling software can only use an SMTP account.  The rules for SMTP and O365 are rather strict, so we're relaying through our external email approval service.

What I think is a bug or undocumented feature in Flow is when an email account that is tied to an AD user in O365 sends a SMTP email, Flow is looking for an email sent internally from the AD user and not an external, SMTP email.  The email headers are completely different for an internal AD user sending mail vs. SMTP.

Did I explain that better?

JimBob_SF

@v-micsh-msft I figured it out.  Mailbox Rules fire faster than Flow workflows and the issue was never with the syntax of the address.

I have a Rule in Outlook that moves all mail from my service account to a folder under Inbox.  The Flow workflow was looking at Inbox and never seeing the email.  Once I pointed the workflow to the sub-folder, it worked.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,046)