cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper II
Helper II

Trouble converting string to date using convertToUtc

I have a text column in my custom CDS entity containing a string of a date. Most fields are empty.

I want to build a Flow which will will convert the string to a value of type datetime and update the date field in the same record, for all records in my custom entity.

Its failing with a 400, BadRequest, error. What am I doing wrong?

Attached images show the flow and the resulting error.

Source column values are either empty or in the format "7/7/1977".FlowFailDateConvert.PNGFlowFailDateConvert2.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BrianSlalomMS,

You couldn't enter the expression in the "PCN Status Date" in the "Update a record" action directly.

Please add a dynamic content with the expression in your "PCN Status Date" in the "Update a record" action.

I have made a test on my side, you could refer to screenshot below to add the dynamic content with the expression:

Capture.PNG

The flow would run successfully as below:

Capture.PNG

Best regards,

Alice

I made the change you suggested but my Flow still fails.

FlowFailDateConvert2-1.PNGFlowFailDateConvert2-2.PNG

Here is the full text of my expression.

convertToUtc(item()?['cr89e_pcnstatusimportastext'], 'Pacific Standard Time')

Here is the earlier portion of my Flow. I am trying to apply this update to each record in a list. Referencing each record individually is probably my issue.

FlowFailDateConvert2-3.PNG

Tried this as well. 

FlowFailDateConvert2-5.PNG

Getting closer, the correct date is filled in, but it fails with no specific error message.

FlowFailDateConvert2-4.PNG

Another important thing to note is that my destination date field is of type Date&Time, not string/text.

Is there some other function I should be using to convert a date string to a Date&Time field type?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,440)