cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hsl1
Microsoft
Microsoft

Unable to update lookup column with null

This is a recent new error that started sometime yesterday.

I have a Flow that connects to my Dataverse table and removes existing record in a lookup column (from system user table) by inserting null. This action is using Dataverse: Update a row and looks like this:

hsl1_1-1634341260068.png

This flow worked correctly until yesterday morning where I received the error message "An error occurred while validating input parameters: Microsoft.OData.ODataException" (full message attached below).

Was there a change to how null is handled in dataverse lookup column? Is there a different syntax I need to use to make this work?

Any help would be appreciated!

"An error occurred while validating input parameters: Microsoft.OData.ODataException: The 'odata.bind' instance or property annotation has a null value. In OData, the 'odata.bind' instance or property annotation must have a non-null string value.\r\n   at Microsoft.OData.JsonLight.ODataJsonLightDeserializer.ReadAndValidateAnnotationStringValue(String annotationName)\r\n   at Microsoft.OData.JsonLight.ODataJsonLightDeserializer.ReadAndValidateAnnotationStringValueAsUri(String annotationName)\r\n   at Microsoft.OData.JsonLight.ODataJsonLightResourceDeserializer.ReadEntryPropertyAnnotationValue(String propertyAnnotationName)\r\n   at Microsoft.OData.JsonLight.ODataJsonLightDeserializer.ReadODataOrCustomInstanceAnnotationValue(String annotatedPropertyName, String annotationName, PropertyAndAnnotationCollector propertyAndAnnotationCollector, Func`2 readPropertyAnnotationValue)\r\n   at Microsoft.OData.JsonLight.ODataJsonLightDeserializer.ParseProperty(PropertyAndAnnotationCollector propertyAndAnnotationCollector, Func`2 readPropertyAnnotationValue, String& parsedPropertyName)\r\n   at Microsoft.OData.JsonLight.ODataJsonLightDeserializer.ProcessProperty(PropertyAndAnnotationCollector propertyAndAnnotationCollector, Func`2 readPropertyAnnotationValue, Action`2 handleProperty)\r\n   at Microsoft.OData.JsonLight.ODataJsonLightResourceDeserializer.ReadResourceContent(IODataJsonLightReaderResourceState resourceState)\r\n   at Microsoft.OData.JsonLight.ODataJsonLightReader.StartReadingResource()\r\n   at Microsoft.OData.JsonLight.ODataJsonLightReader.ReadResourceSetItemStart(PropertyAndAnnotationCollector propertyAndAnnotationCollector, SelectedPropertiesNode selectedProperties)\r\n   at Microsoft.OData.JsonLight.ODataJsonLightReader.ReadAtStartImplementationSynchronously(PropertyAndAnnotationCollector propertyAndAnnotationCollector)\r\n   at Microsoft.OData.ODataReaderCore.ReadImplementation()\r\n   at Microsoft.OData.ODataReaderCore.InterceptException[T](Func`1 action)\r\n   at System.Web.OData.Formatter.Deserialization.ODataReaderExtensions.ReadResourceOrResourceSet(ODataReader reader)\r\n   at System.Web.OData.Formatter.Deserialization.ODataResourceDeserializer.Read(ODataMessageReader messageReader, Type type, ODataDeserializerContext readContext)\r\n   at System.Web.OData.Formatter.ODataMediaTypeFormatter.ReadFromStream(Type type, Stream readStream, HttpContent content, IFormatterLogger formatterLogger)"

4 REPLIES 4
v-bofeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hsl1 :

I've made a test but did no encountered the problem you mentioned:

1\My Table

vbofengmsft_0-1634538280024.png

2\My flow

vbofengmsft_1-1634538315625.png

The Result:

vbofengmsft_2-1634538330992.png

Please check if the lookup column is a Required column?(If so,it can not be updated to null)

vbofengmsft_3-1634538375517.png

Best Regards,

Bof

hsl1
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @v-bofeng-msft,

Thank you for the detailed feedback. I replicated your steps in my environment, but running into the same error as before.

I populated the user_lookup column first and tried to remove it with null in Flow. Not sure if that makes a difference.

hsl1_2-1634586147573.png

hsl1_3-1634586197646.png

Result:

hsl1_4-1634586223172.png

hsl1
Microsoft
Microsoft

Interesting find on my end, old "Update a row" is working as intended.

hsl1_0-1634589200394.png

Result:

hsl1_1-1634589216851.png

Hi @hsl1 :

Is this problem solved?What can I do for you?

Best Regards,

Bof

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

MPA Licensing.jpg

Ask your licensing questions at the Power Automate AMA!

Join Priya Kodukula and the licensing team, super users and MVPs to find answers to your questions on Power Automate licensing.

Users online (1,854)