cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to write data into Excel file

I have created flow which ideally writes 500-1000 rows of data in an excel which is kept in centralized sharepoint/onedrive. This flow has been shared with around 600 users and this flow is scheduled to run everyday 8am. The problem is Excel going as Not responded and flow got timeout. I am guessing that since all the flows trying to write the data in almost same time, I am facing this issue. Kindly advice me on the approach. I can't have different excels for all the users.   

4 REPLIES 4
efialttes
Super User III
Super User III

MMm... it looks like a concurency problem. So, all these 600 users already installed you flow and invokes your flow simoultaneously, right? Or, does it run only once a day, but it creates/updates so many rows  the file get blocked during the process?

If so, did you consider an alternate architecture? Sharepoint? CDS?

Thanx!

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

• Yup, it is concurrency issue. Yes all the 600 users(Executives, Directors, Partners) going to install this. It is SharePoint based trigger and admin will trigger this. we are planning to run 6 times day. Once it is triggered its going to extract information and writing it to the centralized excel.  Mostly from all 600 users almost same time. If I am not wrong over all data for first run is minimum 10k rows(only for first run) and from the second run onwards maximum of 1000 for all the users. 
  • Earlier I have planned with "SharePoint List" only. But most of the forums suggesting that to handle huge data SharePoint list is not a better approach. Can we do this using SharePoint List?? Will that be an good approach? I am 100% percent sure that the data won't be more than 6,00,000 rows, even if it runs 5times a day for the whole year.
  • Could you help me with some approach or methods or the effective way?

Hi again

Did you consider an hybrid approach?

Sharepoint to avoid concurrency problems; you flow should store daily related data there.

Once a day you can backup daily data from SP to an Excel, and delete Sharepoint old entries. So Excel to avoid too many rows on SP.

Anyway, it is difficult to say, I am just guessing you are implementing some sort of COVID report per employee/patient. IN such a case I would try with this hybrid approach. But if your flow that is executed by 600 users at the same time need to process old data, then my suggestion is nonsense.

Hope this helps

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it is going to be triggered by all the 600 users same time. But there will be small difference in time based on dataset.

Is SharePoint has a concurrency issue? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (43,037)