cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cooneyr
Frequent Visitor

Unwanted Duplicate file after Move Flow SharePoint

I am working with Document Sets which contain multiple files/folders within them. I have a flow to archive these DocSets when they are complete. I use the SharePoint Move Folder action which does successfully move the DocSet into the archive library.

The issue I'm having is frequent, but not every time or even consistent. I'm getting a duplicate DocSet in the archive (the Move flow is set to create duplicates instead of over-righting or erroring). Almost always this duplicate file doesn't contain all of the file/folders and the first moved file does. The flow to Move the folder always completes successfully, but I don't want to go in and have to clean out a bunch of excess duplicates or even set up another flow to clean out those duplicates.

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cooneyr
Frequent Visitor

I figured out the issue. I was using an Update File (properties only) action BEFORE the Move step. This update caused the Flow to trigger again because, well, the file got changed again. I moved the Update File step AFTER the Move step, this issue has been resolved.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-litu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cooneyr,

You can tell me the reason why the move file is not set to replace. In general, setting it to replace replaces the original file without duplicating it. And which file need to delete? Original one or new one?

Annotation 2020-06-22 133451.jpg

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The file I am moving is always the original file, it is not a duplicate. These duplicates that are showing up are unwanted. It is almost like the Move function gets hung up and starts over which is what creates the unwanted duplicates.

New issues as part of this. I just had a couple test files do this same thing where they duplicated, but this time, some of the original documents got split among the duplicate files. So if I use Replace, won't it over-right the original files/documents and I'll lose things? Or will it do a combine/merge? I'll test that theory out, but I cannot lose original documents because of over-righting.

Hi @cooneyr,

Replace will overwrite the same name files. The content will be the moved file, not files have existed in the folder.

And it won't combine or merge the file, actually, this action more like delete files has existed in the folder, then create new same name files and content is new version.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

So I tried the Replace option. A little context first, these DocSets I'm moving have 20-ish folders in them and up to several GB of documents and photos. The Replace stopped the duplicates; however, it also caused the Flow to fail and trigger again multiple times (not even sure why it would re-trigger) and when it finally stopped re-triggering, documents were missing on the destination end.

cooneyr
Frequent Visitor

I figured out the issue. I was using an Update File (properties only) action BEFORE the Move step. This update caused the Flow to trigger again because, well, the file got changed again. I moved the Update File step AFTER the Move step, this issue has been resolved.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

Users online (30,191)