cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Srossi
Regular Visitor

Update Approval status column in a list from approval status column of a file in a document library

Good morning,

I am trying to find out if it is possible to do the following:

We have a  document folder with Content Approval Enabled.

The documents are divided by type in subfolders. 

I want to create lists for our production departments. Each list contains links to all documents related to a given product.

I'd need a column in these lists that shows the approval status of the relevant documents.

For example: in list A I have links for Document A D and F. I'd like a column to show the approval status of documents A D and F.

If the status changes, I need this column to be aupdated automatically to the new status, so that we are sure that only approved documents are used. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
v-duann-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Srossi 

Thank you for posting.

According to your description, you would like to enable ‘content approval’ feature in SharePoint.

As per I tested, once feature enabled, the column ‘approval status’ will be automatically created by itself as below. Only author approves the edit behavior, other list members will be able to see new version of these files. If item status shows reject/pending, other member won’t see this item. This is by design feature in SharePoint.

v-duann-msft_0-1614063846778.png

However, I couldn’t understand what you would like to do using power automate. As per your request, you want to get new status automatically when the status changed. This is content approval feature can be functioned in SharePoint. Seems nothing to do with flow.

Please kindly check and reply me if any misunderstanding.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Anna

Srossi
Regular Visitor

Approval status for a document library  is already enabled and working great.

What I want to do is populate a column in a list with the approval status information of a document and have it updated if the approval status of the document changes. I don't know if it clearer now

Did you hear anything bad?  I believe I too have the same issue and request.

I have a modern document library and I have the Approval Status setup and a nice JSON to show the status.  This does NOT do any workflow, just like formatting for the column "if yes then make it red".

I want to have a Power Automate option to UPDATE that column, for Pending to Approved.  

approval-column.png

I love that my users or someone can click on the item (1) and then the Draft option can go to Pending by their clicking on the (2) Submit for approval!  it changes the Draft to Pending.

approval-process.png

approval-workflow.png

I have a workflow that checks for the option for Pending and when it is set to Pending, then it asks for an Approval.  The person clicks Approve (or Reject) and the workflow says "great" yet it isn't updating the column, the approval says yes or no, just not that column.

approval-approve.png

is there no way to somehow update that column with the workflow?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (17,852)