cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beekhuis
Level: Power Up

Update Document in SharePoint not possible, because document is locked

Hi,

I've build a flow that updates a SharePoint Document with a custom ID in a custom column. This flow works perfectly when you upload the document, but not when someone is still editing the Word document. This happens when they create a file with Word webapp or they Save to SharePoint from the Word desktop client. 

The Flow will get an error, because the user editing the document has a lock on the file.

How can I solve this? Is there a way to check if the lock is on and try later?

Thanks,

Jan-Willem Beekhuis

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Update Document in SharePoint not possible, because document is locked

Hi @Beekhuis,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow’s configuration?

Could you please show a bit more about custom ID in a custom column?

Further, do you want to overwrite a SharePoint document with a new file with same file name?

I have reproduced the issue on my side, there is no way to update the document when someone else is still editing the document in Microsoft Flow currently. Besides, I afraid that there is also no way to check if the file is locked in Microsoft Flow currently.

The effective way that I come with now is not running the flow until someone else finish editing the document.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Dcurran12
Level: Powered On

Re: Update Document in SharePoint not possible, because document is locked

This is an issue for me as well...I'm using the Trigger "When a file is created (properties only)" to initiate my flow and then 2 or 3 steps in I have to update a column in the SP File Library.  Sharepoint Online sometimes has a bit of a lag where the file looks like its open even though the editor is closed and the Flow reports a File Locked error.

I was able to somewhat get around this by putting a Delay 90 Seconds step right after the Trigger which helps...but still isnt perfect.

It would be much better if there was a SharePoint Flow Step "Pause until unlocked" that would halt the flow until the file lock is removed from the file.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 155 members 4,904 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: