cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Update Document in SharePoint not possible, because document is locked

Hi,

I've build a flow that updates a SharePoint Document with a custom ID in a custom column. This flow works perfectly when you upload the document, but not when someone is still editing the Word document. This happens when they create a file with Word webapp or they Save to SharePoint from the Word desktop client. 

The Flow will get an error, because the user editing the document has a lock on the file.

How can I solve this? Is there a way to check if the lock is on and try later?

Thanks,

Jan-Willem Beekhuis

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Update Document in SharePoint not possible, because document is locked

Hi @Beekhuis,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow’s configuration?

Could you please show a bit more about custom ID in a custom column?

Further, do you want to overwrite a SharePoint document with a new file with same file name?

I have reproduced the issue on my side, there is no way to update the document when someone else is still editing the document in Microsoft Flow currently. Besides, I afraid that there is also no way to check if the file is locked in Microsoft Flow currently.

The effective way that I come with now is not running the flow until someone else finish editing the document.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Re: Update Document in SharePoint not possible, because document is locked

This is an issue for me as well...I'm using the Trigger "When a file is created (properties only)" to initiate my flow and then 2 or 3 steps in I have to update a column in the SP File Library.  Sharepoint Online sometimes has a bit of a lag where the file looks like its open even though the editor is closed and the Flow reports a File Locked error.

I was able to somewhat get around this by putting a Delay 90 Seconds step right after the Trigger which helps...but still isnt perfect.

It would be much better if there was a SharePoint Flow Step "Pause until unlocked" that would halt the flow until the file lock is removed from the file.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Now Live: Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (7,518)