cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lee-martin
Level: Powered On

Update Dynamics entity when a file is added to Sharepoint

I'd like to update an entity in Dynamics 365 when a file as added to SharePoint.

I'm guessing i'll need to use flow, but I'm not too experienced with it.

Can someone point to somewhere online which might help me do this.

The scenario is that an agent will add several document to an account, and when each file is added to sharepoint, it will change a yes/no in my dynamics custom entity

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Re: Update Dynamics entity when a file is added to Sharepoint

@lee-martin 

Hi there.  The tough part about doing this with Flow/Power Automate is that your trigger will probably need to watch multiple folders (one for each account, right?) at the same time.

Is the document mgmt Out-of-the-Box D365 stuff or something custom?  It seems like you'd be able to do all of this with a workflow.

Keep us posted.

-Ed-

If you liked this reply, please give it a thumbs up! If this reply has answered your question or resolved your challenge, please consider marking it as a Solution. This helps other users find it more easily via search.

lee-martin

It's all out of the box.

The I just need the yes/no to change once the related documents (for each account) have hit SharePoint. I'm  way out of practice with SharePoint, and new to Microsoft Flow, so I'm struggling to get what I need.

Super User
Super User

@lee-martin No worries at all.  I'm sure we'll find a solution.  I want to keep poking at the scope, though, to make sure I hear the same thing you are saying.  I'm still leaning towards a workflow in D365 to avoid having to have a flow for every account, but I want to make sure you want to flip the yes/no switch when any documents are uploaded...or are you wanting to only trigger it when specific documents are uploaded?

Thanks!

-Ed-

lee-martin

Thanks

The idea is

Document 1 for Account A - triggers a yes/no in CRM to show Account A has uploaded document 1

Document 2 for Account A - triggers a yes/no in CRM to show Account A has uploaded document 2

Document 1 for Account B - triggers a yes/no in CRM to show Account B has uploaded document 1

Super User
Super User

Ok, so you're looking for specific documents.  Meaning: The filename (or some attribute) has to match certain criteria before that switch is flipped.  AND, you're going to have multiple Yes/No's (at least two, so far, right?).  Is this correct so far?

Things to consider, if this is true:  

• filename (or other criteria attribute) must be exact on the upload.
  • What happens if we upload a random file?  (Nothing, I presume)
  • What happens when the file is uploaded more than once?
  • What happens when someone decides we now need a third document?  (how to make the solution scalable).

If the document upload is part of a process or a journey, you might want to consider a Business Process Flow.  You can build these in Power Automate, but they are also native in D365.  This is the thing that lets you map out a process at the top of the form with certain phases and milestones.

The way Out-of-the-box D365 connects to SharePoint, it wants to create a subfolder for each record in that entity.  So, if you're looking at Accounts, there will be a folder for each different account.  Combine this with how the SP trigger works in a flow, and it wants to watch a specific folder for a new upload.  This means you'll have a hard time when new accounts are added, and you might have to build a flow for each account.  (this is why I'm still on Team Workflow for this thing).

If the document upload is part of a process, it might be a good idea to look at the entire process and build a digital solution to match that.  Either way, keep us posted.

-Ed-

If you liked this reply, please give it a thumbs up! If this reply has answered your question or resolved your challenge, please consider marking it as a Solution. This helps other users find it more easily via search.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,833)