cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Update Events in Calendar When Excel is Updated

Hi,

I've succesfully created a flow that will create events in Outlook Calendar from an Excel sheet. But this is only one piece of what I would like to set up. I was hoping to set it up to detect any changes to the Excel, but in researching I have found that is not possible. So alternatively, I would be fine setting up a flow that runs several times a day. However, I'm not finding anything straightforward that will do the following:

1. Create events on Calendar from an excel only if the event doesn't already exist.

2. Update any existing events (change of dates and times or delete).

I'm thinking there would have to be some sort of loop back to the excel table, or a seperate table, that would return the event's unique ID, which would then be used to track changes in the start and end dates? I have no idea how to set that up, or if it would even work, though.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Update Events in Calendar When Excel is Updated

Hi @GerryL,

Could you please share a bit more about your Excel sheet?

Currently, there is no way to detect if there are some rows are deleted from your Excel sheet. If you want to delete the corresponding events from your Outlook calendar when some rows are deleted from your Excel sheet, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently.

If you ignore the delete step, you only consider the add and update action (Create a new event and update existing events within your Outlook calendar), you could consider take a try to add a "Event ID" column in your Excel table to store the Outlook Event ID. In default, the value of the Event ID column is empty, when you add a new event in your Outlook calendar, you need to update your Excel table and input the Outlook Event ID back to corresponding row.

I have created a Excel table on my side and the data structure of it as below:25.JPG

Please take a try with the following workaround:26.JPG

27.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:28.JPG

29.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @GerryL,

Could you please share a bit more about your Excel sheet?

Currently, there is no way to detect if there are some rows are deleted from your Excel sheet. If you want to delete the corresponding events from your Outlook calendar when some rows are deleted from your Excel sheet, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently.

If you ignore the delete step, you only consider the add and update action (Create a new event and update existing events within your Outlook calendar), you could consider take a try to add a "Event ID" column in your Excel table to store the Outlook Event ID. In default, the value of the Event ID column is empty, when you add a new event in your Outlook calendar, you need to update your Excel table and input the Outlook Event ID back to corresponding row.

I have created a Excel table on my side and the data structure of it as below:25.JPG

Please take a try with the following workaround:26.JPG

27.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:28.JPG

29.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Excellent! This works well. I've tried a couple of ways of deleting the line on the excel to see if the update would remove the event, but did not find a way that worked. I was thinking of adding a condition that does the reverse of the condition you gave me, checking all event IDs on the excel against those in the calendar and deleting the event if the ID is not on the excel. This would only work if the excel sheet is the only way events will be created on the calendar, which may not be the case. I think my solution to deleting for now, will be to simply change the subject to Cancelled on the excel. Thank you.
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you make a template for this that you can share? 

Highlighted

Hi @GerryL

@v-xida-msft 

The above flow works for me but the source data is part of a data query in excel. 

Before the flow was turned on the table would refresh when opening the file, however, now the flow runs the table no longer update.

Do you know why this would be?  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,763)