cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RodM
Helper I
Helper I

Update Excel row with last modified date/time of a file

I'd like to update a Power BI visualization with a SharePoint file's last modified date/time stamp. I figure the simplest route would be to update an Excel table with this information.

I started from the folder, selecting the file, using the "Complete a custom action for the selected file" from the Automate menu. I then used the 'Get file properties' template, and the 'Update a row'. This doesn't return anything. Where did I go wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the offer to help. For my needs I realize I was overthinking this. I was able to get what I needed with a simple folder query.

Starting from Excel/Power BI the steps should be similar:

1. Click 'Get data' from the ribbon
  2. Select to get data From Folder/SharePoint Folder
  3. Select your Folder/SharePoint Folder which has your target file(s)
  4. Click 'Transform' button
  5. Use the column filter for the 'Name' column which will have the filename for your desired file(s)
  6. Remove all other columns except Date modified

Now with this said, Power Automate seems to have more capability to provide more detailed Metadata. For example, while trying to build my flow I realized the email address/organizational display name of the person who last modified the file may be available. So if someone can try to build a flow for others who may need that additional detail, others may appreciate it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ChristianAbata
Super User
Super User

hi @RodM  could you share and screanshot?

Did I answer your question? Please consider to Mark
my post as a solution! to guide others :winking_face:

Proud to be a Flownaut!

If you want you can follow me at www.christianabata.com Quieres contenido en español? Síguenos en Power Automate LA

Thanks for the offer to help. For my needs I realize I was overthinking this. I was able to get what I needed with a simple folder query.

Starting from Excel/Power BI the steps should be similar:

1. Click 'Get data' from the ribbon
  2. Select to get data From Folder/SharePoint Folder
  3. Select your Folder/SharePoint Folder which has your target file(s)
  4. Click 'Transform' button
  5. Use the column filter for the 'Name' column which will have the filename for your desired file(s)
  6. Remove all other columns except Date modified

Now with this said, Power Automate seems to have more capability to provide more detailed Metadata. For example, while trying to build my flow I realized the email address/organizational display name of the person who last modified the file may be available. So if someone can try to build a flow for others who may need that additional detail, others may appreciate it.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,071)