Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
BenS1
Level: Powered On

Update External Refrences Excel Document Sharepoint

Hello,

I'm currently working on linking multiple excel documents into one master file, which in turn will then populate fields in other excel documents.

I understand that this is not the most efficient way going about this but the powers that be are insistent on using excel rather than views within share point.

The issue I'm having is that the "master sheet" will not update external references without being opened, I've created the following flow which I'd hope resolve the issue

2018-09-28_16-17-51.jpg

Unfortunatly the newly created file will only show the last manually updated information in the original.

Any help would be greatly apprechiated!

Thanks,

Ben

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Update External Refrences Excel Document Sharepoint

Hi @BenS1,

Thanks for feedback.

According to your description, I have made the following test. The flow is created likes below.

It is triggered by When a file is created or modified in a folder, then Get file content from the trigger, use the dynamic content File identifier from the trigger in this action. Then update the master file.

Besides, the file that is modified in library1 should have the same format with the master file in library2.

1.PNG

I found that when there is only one file in library1 and it is going to be modified, all the items can be updated to the master file. However, when another new file is created in library1, the master file would be updated with the contents from the new file, all the original items would be removed.

Do you have the same issue with me? 

Best regards,

Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
BenS1
Level: Powered On

Re: Update External Refrences Excel Document Sharepoint

Hi Mabel,

Thanks for getting back to me, yes I had a similar issue but I was hoping to find a work around updating the master file rather than copying the information directly via flow.

As the files in use are excel the information is linked directly within Excel  cellsto the master file. I've attached a very quick sketch of the file layout below.

2018-10-02_10-30-58.jpg

As each “part” needs to draw information from the other, I thought it would make more sense to have all the information of all parts housed separately in the master sheet to cut down on loading times between documents.

The flow as it stands is when each part is modified the master sheet would in theory get the information from the other parts and update the various cells via external references within the document. Unfortunately in practice it will only get the information from when the last master sheet was last opened by a user.

Is there any way to update the external cell references within the excel sheet via flow?

Thanks,

Ben

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 4,923 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: