cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeoffE
Level: Powered On

Update File Properties - Dynamic Document Library - Property setting for Runtime Library Variable

Hi,

Am having issues using Update file properties as follows. Say I have an existing data coming from either a list / document library / etc with custom columns ColA, ColB

ColA ="Fred"

ColB = "Bloggs"

This gets added to a created file.

I need to add these as metadata to a library, and the library must be set at runtime, simply because it is set based on certain actions in the workflow, meaning that the file could end up in any of say 50 libraries in a site. The library name at runtime is included in a variable:

TargetDocumentLibrary

So, I need to use Update File Properties to update the properties of the created file.

Against an explictly set library at design time allows me to set the relevant properties (columns); so I am able to assign the above variable content accordingly. This means I use Library Name and select from its drop down list. For example:

uploadfileprops0.gif

But. If I set the library name so TargetDocumentLibrary (which has the correct named library because I was able to use Create file using that variable) then the action looks like this:

uploadfileprops1.gif

No column names - I can only set ID! Where is the possibility of setting specific metadata on the library name. Using the other method would mean me having to set 50 conditionals - not wise!!!

Please help.

Regs

Geoff

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Update File Properties - Dynamic Document Library - Property setting for Runtime Library Variabl

Hi @GeoffE,

As mentioned in the error message, it is not possible to use the variable to configure the Library Name field.

Here you need to specify the Library Name, or at least a fixed value, not a Variable.

Because the action in the connection needs to get the corresponding field through the Library.

Another workaround is to update the properties of the file through Send http request to SharePoint, but considering that different libraries have their own properties and too many case, it is quite difficult to operate.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
GeoffE
Level: Powered On

Re: Update File Properties - Dynamic Document Library - Property setting for Runtime Library Variabl

Thanks for the info.

Neither of these are solutions am afraid. Seems that MS flow lacks the basic functionality to target a document library at runtime, pretty fundamental if a document library needs to be targetted based on a condition which can only be set at runtime. Its pretty unconstructive and impractical to construct a 50 level deep condition for each library. 

I've noticed some uservoices on this one so I'll tag my comments.

Regs

G

Wackmack88
Level 8

Re: Update File Properties - Dynamic Document Library - Property setting for Runtime Library Variable

Hi, 

I have the same issue, i think there is now not a solution for this problem. Still reusable workflows are still not really supporterd. I made a template and copied it for every library 😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,274)