cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Update List ( List A ) using Flow from another ( List B )? Banging my head. Please help.

OK, this used to be so simple on InfoPath and now I'm racking my head trying to figure this out.

I have List A, in it the only columns that would be unique is the title and it's ID of course.

When I run a particular flow on List A I need to update a row in List B that is relative to List A.

For Example:

List A

IDTitleType
115Fruit LoopsCereal
116CrunchberriesCereal

I would manually run a Flow above ( List A ) on Row 115 ( In the Flow I want to update List B  ( Below ) on "Date Restocked") How do you do this?
I found this solution here but I can't get it to work. 
I'd be so grateful if one of you gurus could help me figure this one out please?

Thank you very much in advance.

List B

Lookup Field Into List A (Title)Lookup Field Into List A (ID)Lookup Field Into List A ( Type )Restocked
Y Or N
Date Restocked
1Fruit Loops115Cereal  
2Crunchberries116Cereal  

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Update List ( List A ) using Flow from another ( List B )? Banging my head. Please help.

Hi @MikeRooker 

Select the record in List A and click create flow. Then select the trigger as 'For a selected item'. I believe at this stage you will have the selected item details. If not use 'Get Item' and pass the Id (List A) from the trigger to get List A details. Like I mentioned you may not need this if you have all the info from selected item. Then next before the update of List B you need to find the record id. So to do that you need 'Get Items' and set the filter query to use ID and Title. Now we have List B ID. Then finally you can use the update list item to update the List B using the List B Id retrieved from previous step.

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Power Automate Video Tutorials
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Re: Update List ( List A ) using Flow from another ( List B )? Banging my head. Please help.

Hello abm,

Thank you for the reply.

I still can't get it to work. I am getting this error. I think I may be over-tired.

I will try again after I get some rest. Thank you so very much.

er1.PNG

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi @MikeRooker 

Please look at the screenshot below.

List a to b.png

In the 'Get Items' action, I had used the filter query to search for Lookup column value in the List B.

Since my column internal name is 'List_x0020_A_x0020_Title' and I have mapped the 'Title' field from List A as a lookup to List B so the filter query should be 'List_x0020_A_x0020_Title/Title eq 'triggerBody()?['Title']'

I think the filter query is causing you the issue, try the filter query like that mentioned above and let us know.

Hope it helps, please like it or mark it as a solution if it resolves ur clarification or issue
-Sudharsan K...

Hope it helps, please like it or mark it as a solution if it resolves your clarification or issue
-Sudharsan K...
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Hello Sudharsan,

Thank you for replying. I apologize for the fogginess of my thinking about this.
You are correct indeed that I am missing the part where the filter does it job (it's a little uncertain to me).
May I ask, does it make a difference that I am using a lookup value in List B to filter the ID value from List A?

Ultimately, what I am trying to accomplish is to make an "outside list ( List B)" as an "extension" for List A ( it was getting too large) and to isolate some values to List B alone for tracking purposes.

However, since List A only has it's ID as a "primary key" ( there is no other unique value for the row, the title perhaps but it's not reliable for uniqueness ) in order for me to bind that to List B was to create a lookup column in List B that populated List A's ID values. This way I can filter/match the outcomes of flows from List A to write into List B via matching ( List A's ID to  to List B's ID lookup ).  Be so kind to please let me now if there is a better way. I'm sure there is.

Forgive me, here is what it looks like trying to follow you.

filter2.png

Please let me explain.

The "For a Selected Item" calls List A, I'm not sure if I had to add another "Get Item" after it for List A.

Subsequently, On "Get Items", I call List B and tried to follow your formula.

I assume "ID" is calling from List A ( which it did give me the opportunity to add in via "Insert Parameters" however I manually had to  type in "Site_x0020_Name_x003a_ID" ( From List B ) because it did not appear in the selection.
"ID" is the ID number from List A.

"Site_x0020_Name_x003a_ID" is the lookup value in List B that looks up List A's ID.

Please tell me what I am not doing correctly.
I provided the error below.

Thank you so very much.
I am really grateful for your kind help.

valid.PNG

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi @MikeRooker 

Please make sure the internal name of the column is correct, please navigate to the list settings and click on that column, you can see the internal name at the end of the URL in the address bar.

Hope it helps, please like it or mark it as a solution if it resolves your clarification or issue
-Sudharsan K...
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Hello sudharsan,I the filed name is correct. Do you know if it should work with lookup values?
Did the rest of what I had done look correct?

Thank you!

Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

May I please ask? What is the formula for the filter?

[Field Title List A ]/[Field Title List B] eq 'triggerBody()?['Field Title List B]']' ?
Is that correct?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,249)