cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SueA
Resolver II
Resolver II

Update Properties step in a FLOW gives an error for a SPO library.

Hi:

I have the following Scenario:

1. I have a Master List containing Site URLs, respective Library Names and few other columns.
  2. I have created a Recurrence FLOW for this Master list that goes thru this Master List, access each library using variables for the Site URL and the Library name.
  3. Compares a Date value in the Library with a calculated date value (using a value from the Master List for this record).
  4. If condition matched, updates a record in the library with a "Yes" for a "Record Review" library column.
  5. I am able to access all the libraries (and respective data) listed in the Master List using the variables.
  6. However, Update File Properties gives me an error below:
Error
Action 'Update file properties' failed
If this error was temporary, you can try resubmitting the run and the issue may have been resolved.

I tried resubmitting many times, but the same error occurs after the FLOW hangs for at least half an hour for each Master List record.
See attached.
Also, all the input for this failed step seem correct. Output for Update Properties gives an error.
SueA_0-1643050905815.png

Thank you,
Sue

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @SueA ,

it's not clear what you use in the 'Item' field, but that must have a specific format:

{
"Column": "Value"
}

[ If I have answered your question, please Accept the post as a solution. ]
[ If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up. ]

[ I also blog about Power Automate solutions even for non-IT people. ]

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
tom_riha
Super User
Super User

Hello @SueA ,

based on the error message you're trying to update the value 'True' to some column that doesn't want such value. Check which column it is, what type of column it is, and update it accordingly.

Hi Tom:

Thank you for your time to review this issue.

Per your suggestion, I changed the column type from "Yes/No" to a "Single line of text" data type. Set its variable to "Yes" and tried again.

And, I got the following error:

Error
Action 'Update_file_properties' failed
Documentation
How to fix
If this error was temporary, you can try resubmitting the run and the issue may have been resolved.

When I looked at the Update File Properties Step, I see the following:

INPUT:

{

"host": {

"connectionReferenceName": "shared_sharepointonline",

"operationId": "PatchFileItem"

},

"parameters": {

"dataset": "https://pagov.sharepoint.com/sites/gg-dcsandbox3/SueTestSite/",

"table": "https://pagov.sharepoint.com/sites/gg-dcsandbox3/SueTestSite/OBLIb1",

"id": 1,

"item": "Yes"

}

}

OUPUT:

{

"error": {

"code": 502,

"source": "power-apis-usgov001-public.azure-apihub.us",

"clientRequestId": "3849e967-9c22-4fef-aca6-f1da8248caa6",

"message": "BadGateway",

"innerError": {

"status": 500,

"message": "Unexpected character encountered while parsing value: Y. Path '', line 0, position 0.\r\nclientRequestId: 3849e967-9c22-4fef-aca6-f1da8248caa6\r\nserviceRequestId: 3849e967-9c22-4fef-aca6-f1da8248caa6"

}

}

}

Then, I changed the column type to Numeric, variable to Integer and set the variable to value to 1. 

Composed the variable.

Used OUTPUT of the Compose for the ITM value in the Update properties Step:

SueA_0-1643211917686.png

I then changed the Records Review column to "Numeric" Dat type.

With Variable to Numeric 

and set the variable to Number 1.

Then I ran the FLOW again. Errored out.

The Update Properties step showed the following as an output:

{
  "error": {
    "code"502,
    "source""power-apis-usgov001-public.azure-apihub.us",
    "clientRequestId""6702f26d-51fd-4124-b497-928f90cc5f39",
    "message""BadGateway",
    "innerError": {
      "status"500,
      "message""Error converting value 1 to type 'System.Collections.Generic.IDictionary`2[System.String,System.Object]'. Path '', line 1, position 1.\r\nclientRequestId: 6702f26d-51fd-4124-b497-928f90cc5f39\r\nserviceRequestId: 6702f26d-51fd-4124-b497-928f90cc5f39"
    }
  }
}
May be Microsoft needs to fix this part? or, I am doing something wrong and not know what it is to be able to fix it...
Thank you,
SueA.

Hello @SueA ,

it's not clear what you use in the 'Item' field, but that must have a specific format:

{
"Column": "Value"
}

Hi Tom:

That worked! 🙂

Here are my steps:

• I used the RecordsReview column of data type Boolean (Yes/No).  (I also tried if the column was of datatype Single line of text and that worked as well!)
  • Then Initiated a variable type Object with value in the format you suggested above and
  • Then used the Compose step for the above variable.
  • And finally, used the Compose output for the "Item:" field value in the Update Properties.
  • And, it WORKED!

Wow! This is really amazing! I would not have been able to figure this on my own. Thank you for the valuable tip.

Deeply appreciate your kind support.

Regards,
SueA

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

PWREduCon768x460.png

Join us at PWR EduCon - A Power Platform Conference

Learn from the top Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate & Power Virtual Agents experts!

Power automate tips 768x460 v2.png

Restore a Deleted Flow

Did you know that you could restore a deleted flow? Check out this helpful article.

Users online (2,004)