cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cmwilli
Level: Powered On

Update SharePoint Item - Fields left blank in the action are updating the item to empty values - Different behavior from last week

Hello,

When using the SharePoint Update Item action previously, leaving a field blank in the action would mean that the value would not be changed. Now it seems that any text field left blank is now updating the item to be blank. This does not appear to be happening with other fields, and I'd swear this was not the behavior a few days ago. There is a work around of writing the current contents of the field back to the field, but for Sharepoint lists with many columns this is very tedious. Also, if this behavior is going to be changed back, I would rather not take the time to update everything. Is any else experiencing this? Below is the peek code from the update item

{
"inputs": {
"host": {
"connection": {
"name": "@json(decodeBase64(triggerOutputs().headers['X-MS-APIM-Tokens']))['$connections']['shared_sharepointonline']['connectionId']"
}
},
"method": "patch",
"body": {
"Title": "",
"Employee_x0020_ID": "Update me",
"SSN": "",
"Phone": "",
"Req_x0020__x0023_": "",
"Contract": "",
"Position": "",
"Location": ""
},
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cmwilli

Re: Update SharePoint Item - Fields left blank in the action are updating the item to empty values - Different behavior from last week

Hello,

I don't know how it got to this state but I discovered that it happens for any flow attached to a specific list. Creating a new flow for this list will have this issue, but creating a new flow on a new list does not. I also found a work around of filling in every field with gibberish in the flow, saving the flow, then removing the gibberish and saving the flow again. This stopped the update item from sending blanks when nothing is entered, but every time I create I a new "update item" block I have to perform this fix. 

I hope this helps track down the cause or anyone else that may be experiecing this issue.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Re: Update SharePoint Item - Fields left blank in the action are updating the item to empty values - Different behavior from last week

Hi @Cmwilli ,

I have made a test on my side, it doesn't have the issue you have mentioned.

Before update:

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

After update:

Capture3.PNGCapture4.PNG
 As the pic show, after the update, the 'Email' and 'Specialty Chair' fields still have value.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Zhongys

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Cmwilli

Hello @v-zhos-msft ,

Do you have any recommendations for further troubleshooting or workarounds. This is not the behavior I'm experiencing on my end. I created a new flow with only two steps in case there some some other part of that was creating an issue and I'm still having the same problem. The only thing I could think of is that there were spaces entered into the fields, but I'd tripled checked that all the boxes are empty on the Update Item Action. I couldn't find a setting anywhere that controls if empty fields should mean no changes or should overwrite with blanks. Any assistance you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated

Before Workflow

1.PNG

Test Flow

2.PNG3.PNG

4.PNG

5.PNG

After Flow

6.PNG

v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Hi @Cmwilli ,

Does the issue still exist?

It is strange about that, I can't reproduce the issue on my side.

I can't figure the cause of the issue.

I will do more research about that.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Zhongys

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Cmwilli

Hello,

I don't know how it got to this state but I discovered that it happens for any flow attached to a specific list. Creating a new flow for this list will have this issue, but creating a new flow on a new list does not. I also found a work around of filling in every field with gibberish in the flow, saving the flow, then removing the gibberish and saving the flow again. This stopped the update item from sending blanks when nothing is entered, but every time I create I a new "update item" block I have to perform this fix. 

I hope this helps track down the cause or anyone else that may be experiecing this issue.

View solution in original post

MarthaM
Level: Power Up

Hi, I'm having a similar issue to this. 

I use flow to update my main sharepoint list with bulk data updates provided in spreadsheets. I create a sp list per spreadsheet and use a flow to transfer the data across. If I have say 200 rows to update of only 3 columns, and each row has a value in each column, then it's easy, and all is well. However, if I have say 10 columns to update and 100 rows have all 10 columns but 100 rows don't have data in one or more column, then that's where it gets tricky, as if there is already data in my main sp list, but I upload a blank, then the value in the main list is over-written to blank. 

Is there a way to say Update but skip if blank? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,280)