cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Regular Visitor

Update Sharepoint List When File Uploaded or Modified

Hello,

I am trying to build a flow that updates a sharepoint list as files are added to a folder. The files are excel workbooks that have a common named table and I would like the flow to search for this table when it is uploaded and import that data to a sharepoint list. Much like how the power query function works in excel for example. Thank you,

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @Alex41 

First, Find the specific table in the excel workbook:

You get all the tables in the specific excel workbook.

And you can filter the exact table you want using the ‘filter array’ action.

Get the data from the exact table by using the ‘list rows present in a table’ action.

1.12-8.PNG

1.12-11.PNG

Then, import updated excel data into SharePoint list by deleting all the list items and importing all the excel data in the list.

But, if your SharePoint list is not synchronized with the excel workbook (which means the list contains data not from the excel workbook), then the step must be changed.

Could you tell me whether the SharePoint list contains data not from the excel workbook?

The whole flow is as below:

1.12-7.PNG

1.12-9.PNG

1.12-10.PNG

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Kira Xie
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

You can use When file is created in Folder trigger, to run the flow when file are added to folder

Then you can refer to this post on how to get the tables from excel  https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Send-emails-to-people-in-weekly-reports/m-p/78500... follow the steps from step 5 to get the table from excel.

Once you got table from excel, you can list rows from that table and loop through the rows and within the loop you can add data to SharePoint using Create Item action 

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

If I have answered your question, please mark the post as Solved to help other users to identify the correct answer
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @Alex41 

First, Find the specific table in the excel workbook:

You get all the tables in the specific excel workbook.

And you can filter the exact table you want using the ‘filter array’ action.

Get the data from the exact table by using the ‘list rows present in a table’ action.

1.12-8.PNG

1.12-11.PNG

Then, import updated excel data into SharePoint list by deleting all the list items and importing all the excel data in the list.

But, if your SharePoint list is not synchronized with the excel workbook (which means the list contains data not from the excel workbook), then the step must be changed.

Could you tell me whether the SharePoint list contains data not from the excel workbook?

The whole flow is as below:

1.12-7.PNG

1.12-9.PNG

1.12-10.PNG

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hello,

I am starting from a blank list right now with column names the same as the table headers and won't have any other data than the excel data. I'm having issues when I get to the "Apply to Each 3" stage where when I am selecting the "column1" and "column2" data I do not get the dynamic expression options of the table data.

Best,

Alex

Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @Alex41 

In the ‘apply to each 3’ action,

The expression for column1 and column2 is:

Items(‘Apply_to_each_3’)?[‘column1’]
Items(‘Apply_to_each_3’)?[‘column2’]

1.12-2.PNG

Best Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (26,537)