cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emellar
Level: Powered On

Update Task from Excel data using specific references - How to get flow to identify a task

Good day all, I hope someone can guide me. I've recently gotten into flow to help structure my small business. No experience in coding.

I have an excel Schedule of our export shipments that I have created a flow for, so for every shipment, our controller can trigger a flow which Creates a new plan and sends out an email to the warehouses.Untitled.jpgFlow: Create Plan from Excel Data & Notify Warehouses

However, Ship stacking dates change constantly, and there is no point to my Planner flow if it has the wrong information on it and doesn't get updated.

My problem is getting Flow to identify a Task ID and Update said tasks Using Excel data. In the Task ID, I need flow to identify an existing task based on our shipping reference number eg DT1482.1, to change the dates in the title and the due dates in the plan.

Currently my task ID consists of:

Shipping Ref - Contract/ Metric tonnes / Number of Containers / Stack open Date - Stack close date

I've tried using dynamic excel content using a header (Shipping Ref), but this doesn't search the plans for the reference and gives me errors.

My next thought is to use an expression combined with dynamic content to search specifically for a certain shipping reference. eg. if(contains:etc)

Sorry if this is a bit simple. Will anyone be able to provide insight on how I can get Flow to identify a task to update it based on references? Appreciate any assistance.

3 REPLIES 3
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Update Task from Excel data using specific references - How to get flow to identify a task

@Emellar 

Why don't you store somewhere the Planner task ID linked to the reference you guys use to identify the Shipping Ref?

So, once you need to update a Planner task since its 'mirror' Shipping task has changed, you just search for Shipping REf, obtain the Planner Task ID and update Planner task.

I had a similar problem, in my case no excel files but items in a sharepoint list, so I just added a new column to store the Planner Task ID. In my case the master is the Sharepoint list item, the slave the Planner task, so everytime there is a change in the SP list item, I update its 'mirror' planner task.

Hope this helps

FlowPlannerMirror.png

If anyone is trying to help you with an issue, the fastest way to say thanks is by kudoing. Be grateful, Thumbs up!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Emellar

Re: Update Task from Excel data using specific references - How to get flow to identify a task

Thanks for the quick reply and new perspective. I've not got much experience with Sharepoint, im basically trying to migrate our very "manual" and excel based operations to teams and Powerautomation, *With as little training for staff as possible*. 

Id definitely like to consider your solution and see if it will work for us. Thank you very much!

Highlighted
Emellar

@efialttes 

Ok, so I got flow identifying the correct task to update 🤓, but I'm receiving constant errors when trying to "Update a task" in flow 😡, it keeps giving me the following error:

{
  "error": {
    "code": "UnknownError",
    "message": "<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC \"-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN\" \"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd\">\r\n<html xmlns=\"http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml\">\r\n<head>\r\n<meta http-equiv=\"Content-Type\" content=\"text/html; charset=iso-8859-1\"/>\r\n<title>404 - File or directory not found.</title>\r\n<style type=\"text/css\">\r\n<!--\r\nbody{margin:0;font-size:.7em;font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;background:#EEEEEE;}\r\nfieldset{padding:0 15px 10px 15px;} \r\nh1{font-size:2.4em;margin:0;color:#FFF;}\r\nh2{font-size:1.7em;margin:0;color:#CC0000;} \r\nh3{font-size:1.2em;margin:10px 0 0 0;color:#000000;} \r\n#header{width:96%;margin:0 0 0 0;padding:6px 2% 6px 2%;font-family:\"trebuchet MS\", Verdana, sans-serif;color:#FFF;\r\nbackground-color:#555555;}\r\n#content{margin:0 0 0 2%;position:relative;}\r\n.content-container{background:#FFF;width:96%;margin-top:8px;padding:10px;position:relative;}\r\n-->\r\n</style>\r\n</head>\r\n<body>\r\n<div id=\"header\"><h1>Server Error</h1></div>\r\n<div id=\"content\">\r\n <div class=\"content-container\"><fieldset>\r\n  <h2>404 - File or directory not found.</h2>\r\n  <h3>The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.</h3>\r\n </fieldset></div>\r\n</div>\r\n</body>\r\n</html>\r\n",
    "innerError": {
      "request-id": "18269f78-296b-4bc0-9d0c-7f6c7d0be1d8",
      "date": "2019-11-20T13:00:51"
    }
  }
}

My flow now looks like this:

Update a task flow.jpg

If anyone can help at all

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,193)