Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atreyu
Advocate I
Advocate I

Update Word document properties not reflected in document Properties

Hello there,

I am having the strangest of issues with two of my flows !
[TL;DR] : 

My issue :

It is a really random issue :

When an approval flow sends an email to the approbator, the "Link to item" opens Word and displays an error regarding metadatas : "Required properties : to save on the server, correct the required propertises that are unvalid or missing", and when clicking on "Edit properties", it displays the column "DocumentType"/Type_de_documents to be empty.

atreyu_2-1693228646750.png

Except, before having the approval flow started by the user, we have a flow that fills out the properties of said documents. And at least, the property "DocumentType"/"Type_de_documents" has a default value set which is "Non classé" and is absolutely not mandatory so it should not trigger any Poperty issue.

This error comes back only for 2 specific types of documents = 2 different choices of that dropdown.
The problem does not come from any special characters.
Below you'll find the break down of the flows.

I have 2 flows :
Flow 1

is a recurring/Scheduled flow that fills metadata depending on the title of a document and an excel file.
It goes
"schedule"> Quality scope >Get files (properties only) with a condition on "DocumentType" column is set to its default value "Unclassified"/"Non classé" in French > For each file > Get the row in the Excel table >Update file properties

atreyu_0-1693227217073.png

Flow 2

is a manually triggered flow on a specific library, to get approvals for said document.
It goes "For selected file" > Initialize var and for each 11 are not relevant in this case > Get file properties >Update file properties 5 : set "ApprovalStatus" column to "Pending approval" >Start & wait for approval with "Link to item" set to "Update file properties 5"'s file path. 
If the answer for the approval is Approved, there is a Update file properties action (set "ApprovalStatus" to "Approved")

atreyu_1-1693227487908.png

On the approval maill, when clicking on the "See this doc" link, Word opens to that error I described above.

The files & columns

are docx files, and they are created by users choosing templates in the "New" menu. They are attached to the "Document" Content Type.
The columns are set Site-wide and reused in several libraries and they were used when creating the word Templates :

• "DocumentType"  is a dropdown choice with a default value set to "Unclassified".
    This is not a required/mandatory column. No unique values enforced either.
    Choices are (but in French with accent 🙂 ) : Recordings, Operation, Procedure, Instructions, Unclassified
  • "ApprovalStatus"  is a dropdown choice with a default value set to "Draft", and is not required, and no unique values enforced
    Choices are : "Approved","Rejected","Draft","Pending Approval", "Pending Checking"

I have checked all the outputs of the actions happening before the approval, and strangely, everything is set just fine.

So I do not understand why I'm still getting that frustrating error. Even if user changes manually the property, it does not work.
If user sets the property manually, without calling the first flow, everything works fine. But I do not understand why my first flow would be the culprit on only two types of documents.

COuld you help me figure it out please ? 
Thanks a lot !

4 REPLIES 4
wskinnermctc
Super User
Super User

First, Thank You for typing most of your issue in text. The screenshots are not translated from your outrageous French accent, and I can't read them, but I can tell most of the issue from what you wrote in text.

The first thing I think about is the problem with Document properties being updated that do not appear in the browser view of the document. So if you create a Word document with power automate template and populate the properties. Then after the document is created you manually go click on the file and it opens in the browser, the property fields will appear blank. However, the properties are not blank if you open the document to edit in the Word desktop app. After opening in the desktop app and closing, the fields will be populated in the browser view as expected.

Similarly if you Create Document from Template and then try to put the document in email, you need to Get the document you just created. You can't use the outputs of the Create Document in an email.

Long story long go Get Document Properties again, after the Update File Properties 5. Then use the Get File Properties in the approvals.

You have:

• Get File Properties
  • Update File Properties
  • Start Approval

Try to test this:

• Get File Properties
  • Update File Properties
  • Get File Properties 2
  • Start Approval using Update File Properties 2

The second thing I would try is to troubleshoot the connector actions by deleting and refreshing them. I would also go to the Site Wide Content Type and refresh them as well. Here is an issue I had a couple of weeks ago that was solved by refreshing the Content Type columns. Update File Properties - Blank Fields Overwrite Previous Values

I refreshed the Content Type columns by basically editing them but not making any changes then saving. Then I deleted and recreated the actions after that column refresh. 

Hopefully this helps

Thanks a lot for your explanations @wskinnermctc !
We just tried by recreating the columns, and it did nothing.
Regarding your explanations it is expected particularly if the problem comes from Word not populating it.
You got me "hoped" up on that solution, so I'll try and see if this is it. Thanks a lot for your food for thoughts and possible solution, I'll get back to you today !

Hello @wskinnermctc :
We tried to add a Get File properties between the Update files properties and the Start and wait for approval.
UNfortunately, it did nothing. We tried to recreate new columns mimicking the "old" ones but it did nothing either.
We will now try to recreate the actions, and please, cross your fingers for us 🙂

wskinnermctc
Super User
Super User

Are these documents using templates to be created? I would delete and replace any templates as well.

To investigate the problem:

I would use "Send an HTTP to SharePoint" in a flow to look at the details of the document.

You will need to use multiple HTTP requests to look at the properties of the document as a List Item and look at the properties of the document as a File. See SharePoint Rest List Specific Item examples.

In SharePoint a Document Library is just a special type of List. So each document is a List Item and each List Item has a File. (A regular SharePoint List Items do not have File.) So you should look at the properties of both item and file.

Run the HTTP requests on the document before Flow1, before Flow2, and after Flow2.

See if you can see a change in the property or field DocumentType. Just like I did in this problem, I ran an HTTP request to look at the background data and recognized the problem. 

Example HTTP Requests Below:

Here is an example file in my Document Library. The file list item ID is 588.

Document Library List Title: "Documents"

Document/File ID: 588

Documents - File Item ID 588Documents - File Item ID 588

Here are multiple HTTP Requests to run on the file.

HTTP Requests have Different OutputsHTTP Requests have Different Outputs

Each HTTP Request uses the Headers to determine how much data is returned:

• Accept application/json;odata=verbose
  • Accept application/json;odata=nometadata

Verbose is all data which is good to see what is available. Nometadata will trim some of the extra options off.

The GET Uri for item:

_api/web/lists/GetbyTitle('Documents')/items(588)

The GET Uri for item properties:

_api/web/lists/GetbyTitle('Documents')/items(588)/properties

The GET Uri for the item fieldvaluesforedit:

_api/web/lists/GetbyTitle('Documents')/items(588)/fieldvaluesforedit

The GET Uri for the file:

_api/web/lists/GetbyTitle('Documents')/items(588)/file

The GET Uri for the file properties

_api/web/lists/GetbyTitle('Documents')/items(588)/file/properties

Here is a screenshot of each of the HTTP Requests:

Item - HTTP RequestItem - HTTP RequestItem Properties - HTTP RequestItem Properties - HTTP RequestItem Field Values for Edit - HTTP RequestItem Field Values for Edit - HTTP RequestFile - HTTP RequestFile - HTTP Request

File Properties - HTTP RequestFile Properties - HTTP Request

I would use these HTTP requests to look at the document before, during, and after the flows. Then check the outputs to see if you recognize any differences or issues with the properties. You want to focus on the specific field/property DocumentType.

I'm sorry I don't have the answer to your problem, but I think viewing HTTP requests as the document goes through different phases would give insight to the problem.

It is probably something silly like a blank value or property name and choices not corresponding. 

Helpful resources

Announcements

Celebrating the May Super User of the Month: Laurens Martens

@LaurensM  is an exceptional contributor to the Power Platform Community. Super Users like Laurens inspire others through their example, encouragement, and active participation. We are excited to celebrated Laurens as our Super User of the Month for May 2024.   Consistent Engagement:  He consistently engages with the community by answering forum questions, sharing insights, and providing solutions. Laurens dedication helps other users find answers and overcome challenges.   Community Expertise: As a Super User, Laurens plays a crucial role in maintaining a knowledge sharing environment. Always ensuring a positive experience for everyone.   Leadership: He shares valuable insights on community growth, engagement, and future trends. Their contributions help shape the Power Platform Community.   Congratulations, Laurens Martens, for your outstanding work! Keep inspiring others and making a difference in the community!   Keep up the fantastic work!        

Check out the Copilot Studio Cookbook today!

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Copilot Studio Community. We can't wait for you to share your expertise and your experience!    Join us for an amazing opportunity where you'll be one of the first to contribute to the Copilot Cookbook—your ultimate guide to mastering Microsoft Copilot. Whether you're seeking inspiration or grappling with a challenge while crafting apps, you probably already know that Copilot Cookbook is your reliable assistant, offering a wealth of tips and tricks at your fingertips--and we want you to add your expertise. What can you "cook" up?   Click this link to get started: https://aka.ms/CS_Copilot_Cookbook_Gallery   Don't miss out on this exclusive opportunity to be one of the first in the Community to share your app creation journey with Copilot. We'll be announcing a Cookbook Challenge very soon and want to make sure you one of the first "cooks" in the kitchen.   Don't miss your moment--start submitting in the Copilot Cookbook Gallery today!     Thank you,  Engagement Team

Announcing Power Apps Copilot Cookbook Gallery

We are excited to share that the all-new Copilot Cookbook Gallery for Power Apps is now available in the Power Apps Community, full of tips and tricks on how to best use Microsoft Copilot as you develop and create in Power Apps. The new Copilot Cookbook is your go-to resource when you need inspiration--or when you're stuck--and aren't sure how to best partner with Copilot while creating apps.   Whether you're looking for the best prompts or just want to know about responsible AI use, visit Copilot Cookbook for regular updates you can rely on--while also serving up some of your greatest tips and tricks for the Community. Check Out the new Copilot Cookbook for Power Apps today: Copilot Cookbook - Power Platform Community.  We can't wait to see what you "cook" up!    

Welcome to the Power Automate Community

You are now a part of a fast-growing vibrant group of peers and industry experts who are here to network, share knowledge, and even have a little fun.   Now that you are a member, you can enjoy the following resources:   Welcome to the Community   News & Announcements: The is your place to get all the latest news around community events and announcements. This is where we share with the community what is going on and how to participate.  Be sure to subscribe to this board and not miss an announcement.   Get Help with Power Automate Forums: If you're looking for support with any part of Power Automate, our forums are the place to go. From General Power Automate forums to Using Connectors, Building Flows and Using Flows.  You will find thousands of technical professionals, and Super Users with years of experience who are ready and eager to answer your questions. You now have the ability to post, reply and give "kudos" on the Power Automate community forums. Make sure you conduct a quick search before creating a new post because your question may have already been asked and answered. Galleries: The galleries are full of content and can assist you with information on creating a flow in our Webinars and Video Gallery, and the ability to share the flows you have created in the Power Automate Cookbook.  Stay connected with the Community Connections & How-To Videos from the Microsoft Community Team. Check out the awesome content being shared there today.   Power Automate Community Blog: Over the years, more than 700 Power Automate Community Blog articles have been written and published by our thriving community. Our community members have learned some excellent tips and have keen insights on the future of process automation. In the Power Automate Community Blog, you can read the latest Power Automate-related posts from our community blog authors around the world. Let us know if you'd like to become an author and contribute your own writing — everything Power Automate-related is welcome.   Community Support: Check out and learn more about Using the Community for tips & tricks. Let us know in the Community Feedback  board if you have any questions or comments about your community experience. Again, we are so excited to welcome you to the Microsoft Power Automate community family. Whether you are brand new to the world of process automation or you are a seasoned Power Automate veteran - our goal is to shape the community to be your 'go to' for support, networking, education, inspiration and encouragement as we enjoy this adventure together.     Power Automate Community Team

Hear what's next for the Power Up Program

Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram, including a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the link below to sign up today! https://aka.ms/PowerUp  

Tuesday Tip | How to Report Spam in Our Community

It's time for another TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   As our community family expands each week, we revisit our essential tools, tips, and tricks to ensure you’re well-versed in the community’s pulse. Keep an eye on the News & Announcements for your weekly Tuesday Tips—you never know what you may learn!   Today's Tip: How to Report Spam in Our Community We strive to maintain a professional and helpful community, and part of that effort involves keeping our platform free of spam. If you encounter a post that you believe is spam, please follow these steps to report it: Locate the Post: Find the post in question within the community.Kebab Menu: Click on the "Kebab" menu | 3 Dots, on the top right of the post.Report Inappropriate Content: Select "Report Inappropriate Content" from the menu.Submit Report: Fill out any necessary details on the form and submit your report.   Our community team will review the report and take appropriate action to ensure our community remains a valuable resource for everyone.   Thank you for helping us keep the community clean and useful!

Users online (6,009)