cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update a List Item - Multiple Select Choice Field

I am trying to update a multiple select choice field. This was working but the chocie control has changed and I can't figure out how to update it.

The Country field has 3 choices and a user can select 1-3 w/ checkboxes.

The Country field is required.

I am updating the item to set it the "Control" value to "Complete". Since Country is required I must update it as well.

This is where I am stuck. 

The apply each loop was generated when I tried to set the Country field to Country Value (it's an array).

It is a very simple Flow. Hoping there is a simple answer that eludes me.

picture_01_flow_choice_issue.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-yuazh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

I have made a test on my side, you could click the button as below in the Country Value field to "Switch to input entire Array" :

Capture.PNG

And then you could choose the "Country" dynamic content of the trigger in the "Country" field of "Update item" action, please refer to screenshot below to create the flow to keep the values in the Country field as below:

Capture.PNG 

The flow would run successfully as below:

Capture.PNG

Best regards,

Alice

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

HI @Anonymous,

I thk you migth need to use the REST API for this using the Send an HTTP request to SharePoint action:

https://veenstra.me.uk/2018/07/05/microsoft-flow-setting-multi-people-fields-in-sharepoint/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm...I hope not. The article you shared reference the old control in Flow. I was able to update that one with Flow. This recent update to the control is what broke it. Note the new box and the ability to create the array in the control.

I appreciate the info.

v-yuazh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

I have made a test on my side, you could click the button as below in the Country Value field to "Switch to input entire Array" :

Capture.PNG

And then you could choose the "Country" dynamic content of the trigger in the "Country" field of "Update item" action, please refer to screenshot below to create the flow to keep the values in the Country field as below:

Capture.PNG 

The flow would run successfully as below:

Capture.PNG

Best regards,

Alice

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes!!

You are my hero! Thank you very much. This fixes a production issue for me. 

Alternate and simple approach to handle multi choice field in update item.

1. Use 'Select' Action from 'Data Operations' and get the multi choice field value[array].

2. Use the output in Update item as shown below.

Fix.png

@VinMSConsultant 

Thank you...this was the solution for me!

Perfect solution!

(Took me a bit to realize I had to type the word "Value" into the Map > Enter key field.)

Thank you so much.

i encountered this error, The 'inputs.parameters' of workflow operation 'Create_item' of type 'OpenApiConnection' is not valid. Error details: The API operation does not allow writing a value for parameter 'item/________[0]/Value'. This parameter is read only.

@clengcleng, I got the same error when I tried the first method suggested. However, the one that @VinMSConsultant proposed, worked flawlessly. I suggest you try that one.

I know this is an old post, but I just ran across it. This was the easiest approach for me and IT WORKED!!! Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
 WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Register for a Free Workshop.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Users online (3,132)