cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mousman85
Helper III
Helper III

Update a folder in shared documents metadata on a custom column using HTTP Requests

Hi,

I'm trying to do something fairly simple but can't get to the bottom of it. I have 400+ sharepoint sites created for clients each site is attached to a team and each project for that client is a channel under that team. 

All our projects have a status for Complete or Archive. and i now need to apply that metadata to the channel folders created this will be set by referencing a SharePoint list that contains all our projects and what status they are at. Because i won't know the full path details of the file I can't use the update metadata properties connector, as it doesn't pull through the custom site column as it obviously doesn't know it exists at that point. 

I know I can do this via a HTTP request but i can't seem to get anything working. I've followed a few guides but I keep getting errors. I follow most of the info from this - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/sp-add-ins/working-with-folders-and-files-with-rest 

But i'm getting bad gateway errors or just general not valid errors. i'm trying to use a get request to get the Odata.type and then the post request to update the field ProjectStatus. I've attached some images showing http calls.

Any help would be great i've been stuck on this for a couple of days now and i feel it should be something simple. if it a files metadata it's easy but folders seem to be something else. 

image.pngimage.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
annajhaveri
Super User
Super User

Hello @mousman85 ,

You can use "Get folder metadata using path" action to get the folder item ID, and then use Update Item or Send HTTP Request with Rest API to update item in folder to update folder properties, please see below screenshot

Get Folder Metadata from PathGet Folder Metadata from PathSet Folder Properties using ItemId from Get Folder MetadataSet Folder Properties using ItemId from Get Folder Metadata

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

If I have answered your question, please mark the post as Solved to help other users to identify the correct answer
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Hi,

thanks for the reply, I'm still getting an error on this. I've tried setting the ID using the ID dynamic data field and itemID dynamic field from the get folder metadata connector, but it returns the same error please see attached image, not sure what the issue is? The error image is showing a missing ) at the end of the ID but this is there in there in the Uri. Would I be better of composing the URI and using an output from a compose? i need the request to cycle through a load of sites and folders could end up being 100's 

image.pngimage.png

12 REPLIES 12
annajhaveri
Super User
Super User

Hello @mousman85 ,

You can use "Get folder metadata using path" action to get the folder item ID, and then use Update Item or Send HTTP Request with Rest API to update item in folder to update folder properties, please see below screenshot

Get Folder Metadata from PathGet Folder Metadata from PathSet Folder Properties using ItemId from Get Folder MetadataSet Folder Properties using ItemId from Get Folder Metadata

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

If I have answered your question, please mark the post as Solved to help other users to identify the correct answer

Hi,

thanks for the reply, I'm still getting an error on this. I've tried setting the ID using the ID dynamic data field and itemID dynamic field from the get folder metadata connector, but it returns the same error please see attached image, not sure what the issue is? The error image is showing a missing ) at the end of the ID but this is there in there in the Uri. Would I be better of composing the URI and using an output from a compose? i need the request to cycle through a load of sites and folders could end up being 100's 

image.pngimage.png

annajhaveri
Super User
Super User

there is an issue in the URI value in your HTTP action, it should be as follows

_api/web/lists/getByTitle('Documents')/items(<ID>)

where as you have as follows which is incorrect

_api/web/lists/getByTitle('Documents')/items/(<ID>)

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

thanks I didn't even notice that. 

So it seems to be picking up the Uri correctly but I'm getting an error that the parameter __metadata doesn't exist, I was getting this error before, ended up down a rabbit hole and wasn't really sure what the fix would. Thanks for your help so far.

image.png

Can you please post the content of body of the action here, I just want to see if there are any unnoticeable syntax error.

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

Below is the body for the call. 

{
"__metadata":{
"type": "SP.Data.Shared_x0020_DocumentsItem"
},
"ProjectStatus":"archive"
}

and this is the output body for the error:

"status": 400,
  "message": "The expression \"web/lists/getByTitle('Documents')/items(%2fShared+Documents%2fGeneral)\" is not valid.\r\nclientRequestId: 03c6e99e-ff51-4a2a-96e6-359c494b1245\r\nserviceRequestId: 5699979f-e0b5-2000-9268-0e8abdebc6d7",
  "source": "https://drsite.sharepoint.com/sites/DemoClientEnvironment/_api/web/lists/getByTitle('Documents')/items(%252fShared%2bDocuments%252fGeneral)",
  "errors": [
    "-1",
    "Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.InvalidClientQueryException"
  ]
}

So i had to add additional header fields for this to work:

accept = application/json;odata=verbose
content-type = application/json;odata=verbose
X-HTTP-Method = MERGE
IF-MATCH = *

annajhaveri
Super User
Super User

yes those headers needed to be provided in the action, i already had in the screenshot i posted in my response here. I understand now the Http call with working for you?

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

Thanks, I didn't spot those headers when I was looking at the images apologies, but yes this is all working as intended now thank you for your help.

Hello,  

I can not seem to get the above solution to work for a site (Teams site) with a subfolder Example - /Documents/TeamName/Subfolder

I am creating new Channels in a Team and then creating subfolders for which I need to update a column of data "FiscalYearEnd" on each folder.  I can not get the dynamic content of "Folder Path" because the function is in a loop.

I have tried multiple variations of the folder path.  I even took out the "Get Folder metadata using path" function and tried to use dynamic content in the Send an HTTP function, but nothing seems to find the subfolder successfully.  

Here are the steps (in an apply to each loop)

Jaison11_2-1632180544917.png

Jaison11_1-1632180493890.png

@Jaison11  can you please share more details on what is not working for you? Is your folder getting created? and Send Http is not working, if yes what error are you getting?

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

Hello @annajhaveri ,

I posted this question to the forum and ended up figuring out the problem and marking the post solved.  I apologize for the confusion.  I do, however, have a new post on the forum that I just posted a few moments ago.  Not sure if you can offer any advice on it?  

Dynamically Get Value of an Excel Column from a Dy... - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (266)