cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper I
Helper I

Update a sharepoint list when a change is made to a task in planner

Hello, I have a flow that currently creates a new item in a sharepoint list when a new task is created in planner. I realized I need to add "update" functionality to the flow that catches if a change is made to a task, that it represents that change in sharepoint as well. Not sure if I need to make a new flow or if I can add on to the one I already have? 

Share1.pngShare2.pngShare3.png

9 REPLIES 9
Super User II
Super User II

hi @Solomon_c  what you can do is create another flow that can capture when a task is completed, no more.

Did I answer your question? Please consider to Mark
my post as a solution! to guide others :winking_face:

Proud to be a Flownaut!

If you want you can follow me at www.christianabata.com Quieres contenido en español? Síguenos en Power Automate LA
Super User III
Super User III

Hi!
You need two flows
I am afraid there is no 'whem a task is updated' task. So, you need to use a recurrence trigger in your second flow, read all your tasks and update the correspondimg items in your list
Hope this helps

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Hi, @efialttes. It helps, I will see if I can figure out how to create the second flow. Piggy backing off my "update" question, I assume the same is said for "delete"? If I delete a task and want the item in sharepoint to be deleted, I need to make another flow for that? Thank you

no @Solomon_c  unfortunally you can't know when a task is deleted, just when a task is mark as completed as I told you before 😉

Proud to be a Flownaut!

If you want you can follow me at www.christianabata.com Quieres contenido en español? Síguenos en Power Automate LA

@ChristianAbata I am sorry! I was hoping that it was possible. It would be very helpful it there was a two way street on communication between planner and sharepoint because I have the SP list connected to a powerapp... So if a task was deleted or changed, I would like the powerapp to update accordingly. 

Anyways, I added a third picture, I have tried to get the "progress" state of a task, but it always comes back '0' or 'Not started'...I need to create a new flow...or can add that to the end of my logic here? 

mmm @Solomon_c  so in your first flow just create a new task an then ends your flow, if you need you can update details to your task. So in another flow you can do this

tasks.PNG

so when a task is completed then you can update a row in sharepoint list by adding task complete.

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Hi!
There is a trigger called "when a task is completed"
List of current planner triggers here
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/planner/#triggers

Hope this helps

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

@ChristianAbata sorry for the delay. I have started on the second flow that updates details about the completed tasks. What flows do I need? I begin with "When a task is completed", "Apply to each"? I guess my question is, how do I define the row I want updated? From my original post, you see the I labeled this row "Progress Value", how do I reference that row in my new flow. On the sharepoint side... The row type is "Choice" and the choices are: Not started / In progress / Completed, default value is None, which maybe should be "Not Started" instead. Thank you. 

hi @Solomon_c what you need to do is a little tick here, you can add to a task the ID of the row into tittle like this 1 - YOurtitle then when a task is complete you can split your tittle with this expression first(split('YourTitle','-')) so now you have your Id ane then you can use it to update what you need.

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PP Bootcamp Carousel

Global Power Platform Bootcamp

Dive into the Power Platform stack with hands-on sessions and labs, virtually delivered to you by experts and community leaders.

secondImage

Power Platform Community Conference On Demand

Watch Nick Doelman's session from the 2020 Power Platform Community Conference on demand!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (11,936)