cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_divyaakula
Level: Power Up

Update child excel row based on parent excel

I have two excels in SharePoint am using flow to update the child excel whenever parent Excel is updated. Both of the Excels have a column named ID which is having Unique numbers. I have used 'Update Row' action to update the cell values. But every time it fails saying row with the id not exists. Below are the screenshots, Screenshot1: fetching data from child Excel and data exists and screenshot2: Issue am facing. Any leads please help!2.png

1.png

15 REPLIES 15
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Update child excel row based on parent excel

Hi @_divyaakula 

I can see that there is a dataype formatting error for your excel ID that you are referring to. In the first screenshot you are having "ID" : "1" (this means that 1 is a string here) and in screenshot of the error it is '1' that refers to an integer value and this might be the possible reason you are getting the error. In your flow, in the place where you are having the update row action change the value from 1 to "1" and it should work. Please let us know if you continue to face the issue post implementing the above suggestion. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

divya_akula
Level: Powered On

@yashag2255  I tried casting to string and int both , neither of those worked and failed with same error

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@divya_akula / @_divyaakula  Can you please post a screenshot of the flow?

divya_akula

@yashag2255  Here is the flow

Flow1.pngFlow2.pngFlow3.pngFlow4.pngFlow5.pngFlow6.png
Flow7.png@

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@divya_akula / @_divyaakula 

Please see the screenshot for the update item below:excels.PNG

Choosing the key value through a variable and then updating the columns. I tested this out and it is working fine. Can you share what is in your update excel action key column and key value parts (please check that you are pointing to proper value for this)

Hope this Helps!

divya_akula

@yashag2255 

Here are the values from my excel Sheet and Update Row , I see it to be pointing correctly not sure what am I missing

Excel2.pngUpdateRow.png

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @divya_akula 

Can you share details on what is happening in the Select array action (NonEmptyRowsChild) part of your flow?

divya_akula

NonEmptyRowsChild.png

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @divya_akula 

I meant to ask, why are you using this action? Can you elaorate on this one?

divya_akula

@yashag2255 To get the filtered output

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

You are already filtering the output of the child in the above action right? What are you filtering in this one? 

divya_akula

@yashag2255  you mean both of them would have same result?

Outputfilters.png

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @divya_akula 

Here is what I did and this works just fine:

Exc1.PNGExc2.PNGHere, instead of finding empty rows in child, I am finding empty rows in the parent table. Then I am checking if the column ID of parent exists in the child table and then if so, i am updating the child with the parent data. 

Expression used:

Filter Array: length(item()?['Column1']) (Here i am checking if the column is not empty)

items('Parent')['Column1'] (Checking if the ID of parent match with Child)

Check the Key value of child with : items('Parent')['Column1']

Update Column1 of Child: items('Parent')['Column1']
Update Column2 of Child: items('Parent')['Column2']

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

divya_akula

There is an issue in identifying the id , once I change it to alphaumeric it went well. 

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@divya_akula 

Glad it worked. It is always good to identify the datatype of the excel column just to be right that we are not comparing/updating or performing actions on different datatypes on the same set. 

If this question/query has been resolved, please mark as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,859)