cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper I
Helper I

Update separate LIST columns with specific responses from a Custom - Wait for all responses Approval

I'm creating a Flow where a want the approval data from 3-4 responders to update SharePoint LIST columns (e.g. Responder1name, Responder1email, Responder1comments; Responder2name, Responder2email, Responder2comments; etc.).  I'm using the individual data responses later in the Flow (getting the data with Get Item action).  I tried using multiple Filter Actions, but when I use them (filtering the Custom - Wait for all responses Approval), only one Filter action displays as an option in the Dynamic Content window.  I want to use Update Item actions to fill in the columns, but don't have access to all the individual data.  Any ideas on how to tackle this problem is appreciated.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Alex_CCI,

1. The expression is "item()", which means the current member of Approvers array variable.

2. Yes, you could use Create item, if you know the ID of the item, you could update them directly. If you don't know and want to filter out with Email, you could consider using Get items + filter query to do taht.

3. Screenshot 2021-01-14 155906.jpg

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helper I
Helper I

Clarification of the Issue

I'm creating a Flow where a want the approval data from 3-4 responders to update different columns in a SharePoint LIST (e.g. Responder1name, Responder1email, Responder1comments; Responder2name, Responder2email, Responder2comments; etc.).  I'm using the individual responses (column data) later in the Flow (using the Get Item action).  I tried using multiple Filter actions, but when I use them (filtering the Custom - Wait for all responses Approval), only one Filter action displays as an option in the Dynamic Content window.  I want to use the Update Item actions to fill in the columns, but don't have access to all the individual data.

In addition, I have two groups of reviewers that are trading off reviewing requests as they come in (complete solution at An approval using two groups of alternating reviewers).

Solution

This solution uses two flows (one for group A and one for group B).  I have the flow calculate Odd or Even requests (using the MS Form responseId field).  Group A gets even request (MyNumber is equal to 0) and Group B gets odd request (MyNumber is NOT equal to 0).  [BTW- I copied the A Group flow to make the B Group flow.]  I use the Terminate action to stop the flow if the other group is reviewing.

mod(int(triggerOutputs()?['body/resourceData/responseId']), 2)

Solution- Individual Approvals Sent to Reviewers Simultaneously -1.png

Then, in order to send out Approvals to all members at the same time, I use branching.  Each approval is a Start and wait for an approval action and I select the Approve/Reject – First to respond action type.  In my case, I am then capturing the Approver Name, Approval (Approve/Reject), and Approval Comments and update my SharePoint List using the Update Item action.  Before the Flow moves on to the actions after the branching, it waits for all responses to be gathered.

Solution- Individual Approvals Sent to Reviewers Simultaneously -2.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Alex_CCI,

Since the Wait for all response approval action will end when all approvers respond, so update items in SharePoint list should wait for all responses done.

As a workaround, you could send an approval request to all users separately at the same time, then update items.

1. Initialize an array variable to store all approver emails;

2. loop these approvers, send an approval request one by one, to make sure the multiple approval request could be sent at the same time, turn on the Concurrency control;

3. create item.

Screenshot 2021-01-13 134609.jpg

Screenshot 2021-01-13 134705.jpg

Screenshot 2021-01-13 134724.jpg

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, I appreciate the assistance. Three questions.

• You have an expression in the Assign to field [item ()].  What is the expression.
  • Instead of using create item, is it okay to use update item?  I plan to update specific List columns with a specific approver's data.
  • I'm not seeing in your solution how I tell the flow where to put the data (e.g. put "Approver1email" in List column Approver1email).  Can you clarify?
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Alex_CCI,

1. The expression is "item()", which means the current member of Approvers array variable.

2. Yes, you could use Create item, if you know the ID of the item, you could update them directly. If you don't know and want to filter out with Email, you could consider using Get items + filter query to do taht.

3. Screenshot 2021-01-14 155906.jpg

Best Regards,

Helper I
Helper I

Clarification of the Issue

I'm creating a Flow where a want the approval data from 3-4 responders to update different columns in a SharePoint LIST (e.g. Responder1name, Responder1email, Responder1comments; Responder2name, Responder2email, Responder2comments; etc.).  I'm using the individual responses (column data) later in the Flow (using the Get Item action).  I tried using multiple Filter actions, but when I use them (filtering the Custom - Wait for all responses Approval), only one Filter action displays as an option in the Dynamic Content window.  I want to use the Update Item actions to fill in the columns, but don't have access to all the individual data.

In addition, I have two groups of reviewers that are trading off reviewing requests as they come in (complete solution at An approval using two groups of alternating reviewers).

Solution

This solution uses two flows (one for group A and one for group B).  I have the flow calculate Odd or Even requests (using the MS Form responseId field).  Group A gets even request (MyNumber is equal to 0) and Group B gets odd request (MyNumber is NOT equal to 0).  [BTW- I copied the A Group flow to make the B Group flow.]  I use the Terminate action to stop the flow if the other group is reviewing.

mod(int(triggerOutputs()?['body/resourceData/responseId']), 2)

Solution- Individual Approvals Sent to Reviewers Simultaneously -1.png

Then, in order to send out Approvals to all members at the same time, I use branching.  Each approval is a Start and wait for an approval action and I select the Approve/Reject – First to respond action type.  In my case, I am then capturing the Approver Name, Approval (Approve/Reject), and Approval Comments and update my SharePoint List using the Update Item action.  Before the Flow moves on to the actions after the branching, it waits for all responses to be gathered.

Solution- Individual Approvals Sent to Reviewers Simultaneously -2.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (82,158)