cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HerrOlsen

Updating Outlook 365 calendar entry thout knowing its ID

Hi there,

I managed to copy a calendar entry from one calendar to another (in order for it to be visible for a group).

But I also want to update and even delete that entry in the group calendar when changes are made to the original entry.
Now I can't seem to get my head around how I can update this entry when the source entry (the one it has been copied from) changes.

I found an action that can update a calendar event but only when its ID is known but in the flow I only know the ID of the source

that triggered the flow but not the id of the destination.

Is there a way to search for a calendar entry and return its ID?

How would you update a calendar entry that you don't know the ID of?

Best regards,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Heartholme
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hei @HerrOlsen , 

This should be quite doable. What you have to do is when you create a new event, you have to put the ID of both the original ID and the new ID in a sharepoint list for example, to use that as a support table. Like this: 

Heartholme_0-1651826149998.png

1. Create a SP list with two columns (OrigID, NewID - for example)

2. Make a switch depending on which action is happening (added, deleted or modify). 

3. When an event is created, create the subsequent event in the new calender and collect both of the IDs in the same sharepoint list by using create item with both of the IDs. 

When a event is deleted: 

1. Use a get item and filter on the column with your OrigID (Remeber Filter query is case sensitive, so you have to put the exact column header string where i have 'Title', then 'eq' and the ID of your orignal event. 

2. Then put in a deleted event and use the NewID value from your sharepoint list, which is connected to your OrigID in the sharepoint list. 

This should do the trick, but let me know how it goes 😄

{ Please click Accept as solution ✔ if my post answered your question. }
{ This will in turn help others find solutions to similar questions. }

Best Regards
Heartholme

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Heartholme
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hei @HerrOlsen , 

This should be quite doable. What you have to do is when you create a new event, you have to put the ID of both the original ID and the new ID in a sharepoint list for example, to use that as a support table. Like this: 

Heartholme_0-1651826149998.png

1. Create a SP list with two columns (OrigID, NewID - for example)

2. Make a switch depending on which action is happening (added, deleted or modify). 

3. When an event is created, create the subsequent event in the new calender and collect both of the IDs in the same sharepoint list by using create item with both of the IDs. 

When a event is deleted: 

1. Use a get item and filter on the column with your OrigID (Remeber Filter query is case sensitive, so you have to put the exact column header string where i have 'Title', then 'eq' and the ID of your orignal event. 

2. Then put in a deleted event and use the NewID value from your sharepoint list, which is connected to your OrigID in the sharepoint list. 

This should do the trick, but let me know how it goes 😄

{ Please click Accept as solution ✔ if my post answered your question. }
{ This will in turn help others find solutions to similar questions. }

Best Regards
Heartholme

HerrOlsen

Hi @Heartholme,

works like a charm.
Since I am quite a newbie I didn't even think about using a sharepoint list as a mappingtable between the two event-IDs.
Thank you very much.

Chris

Heartholme
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@HerrOlsen 

Glad to hear that it works like intended! Once you get a bit more experience, solutions like this comes natuarally. A lot of it has to do with just knowing what you can use to solve specific issues, so keep at it! 😄

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

MPA Licensing.jpg

Ask your licensing questions at the Power Automate AMA!

Join Priya Kodukula and the licensing team, super users and MVPs to find answers to your questions on Power Automate licensing.

Users online (4,838)