cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MaryT0905
Super User
Super User

Updating a Multi-choice column in Sharepoint using Flow

I have a form that asks a series of questions about a new employee.  The employee may have mutliple certifications.  I have these certification types as choices in a SharePoint.  I have a series a condition for each certification type.  If this certification type equal yes, then send this type of email, etc. I also have it create a new record in SP for the new employee.  I'd like for the flow to also update the certification/roles based on the answers.  This works if there is only one, but not multiple.  I get an error message saying the update is conflicting with other updates.  

I think that I just need to move the update down, or something... not really sure.  Would like some help on how to better construct this so I can avoid that error. 

MaryT0905_0-1660478006702.png

MaryT0905_1-1660478037630.png 

MaryT0905_2-1660478128302.png

THis is where I'm updating both of them if yes

1 REPLY 1
tom_riha
Super User
Super User

Hello @MaryT0905 ,

you get an error because you've got multiple branches running in parallel, all of them trying to update the same item - they don't like it. Also, as you have it now it won't update multiple values in the choice field, it'd keep only the latest value.

A better approach would be to:

• initialize an array variable
  • in each of the parallel braches use 'Append to array variable' action and append the choice in the format below. Don't update the item yet.
{ "Value": "CertificationShorcut" }
  • after all the parallel branches are finished use the variable for the update. Switch to the 'Input entire array' and use the variable. This one update will update all the selected values in the item.

image.png

[ If I have answered your question, please Accept the post as a solution. ]
[ If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up. ]

[ I also blog about Power Automate solutions even for non-IT people. ]

Helpful resources

Announcements
 WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Register for a Free Workshop.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Users online (1,769)