Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
APlokhova
Level: Powered On

Updating a copy of Excel file

Hi,

I am building an Powerapps app that stores data in a sharepoint list, but for editing and viewing it by users it must be exported in a formatted Excel file. I built a flow that gets data from uploaded Excel file and add it to Sharepoint list, but I'm struggling with building the flow that will get data from sharepoint list and put it in the Excel file.

The case is I can't modify the master Excel file itself, because a lot of people may want to view their data at one time and it will cause troubles. I clearly see that all I need is to work with the copy of master file, but flow can not do that - throwing an error "Cannot evaluate the parameter 'path.$.file' at design-time".

I was thinking about creating master file for each user, but there are over a hungreed of them and they may change, so it does not seems like a solution. Editing data in a sharepoint list itself is very undesirable.

Any assistance would be appreciated

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Updating a copy of Excel file

Hi @APlokhova ,

Could you please share a screenshot of the flow which you used to work with the copy of master file?

I have made a test on my side to create a flow to work with the copy of master file and also meet the issue as you in the "Insert row" action.

Capture.PNG

I afraid that you couldn't create the copy file and insert row to it when the flow runs, you could consider create the copy file before the flow runs, and in the flow you could insert row to copy file directlly.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

APlokhova
Level: Powered On

Re: Updating a copy of Excel file

Dear Alice,

My flow looks very similar to yours and I get exactly the same error.

So I need to create copy of the master file for each of four hungreds of my users and then build an condition in flow where I need to manually connect this copies? Even without taking into account the fact that Flow still doesn't have copy-past functions, I could consider this workaround as a solution, but users of my program could change, and recreate flow manually each time it happens seem like a very bad decision.

Any further recomendations? Thank you in advance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 237 members 5,282 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: